Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
AA 1818

Default What is an Equitime Point?

Hi All!

I was watching this video recently;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EP9Ko6IsY

and at the 00:56 mark - there seems to be a shot of a pilot imputing information into the FMS. I wonder doubly - what is an Equitime point - and also, why would it be 15 years - or am I reading that incorrectly?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
MCM

At its most basic - an equitime point (equal time point) is the point at which it will take you equal time to go to two different places. Its usually used when looking at diversion time.

So, if there is no wind, then the equitime point when you're flying from A to B is going to be half way between A and B. However if you've got a tailwind on that sector, then the equitime point is going to be closer to A (as to return there will have a slower groundspeed than going to B). It can also be between off track locations - but its just a general example.

15 Years has been entered into the scratchpad - where you type something before selecting it into a position. It might be worth noting that Air Tahiti Nui started operations 15 years ago...
MCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
AA 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM View Post
At its most basic - an equitime point (equal time point) is the point at which it will take you equal time to go to two different places. Its usually used when looking at diversion time.

So, if there is no wind, then the equitime point when you're flying from A to B is going to be half way between A and B. However if you've got a tailwind on that sector, then the equitime point is going to be closer to A (as to return there will have a slower groundspeed than going to B). It can also be between off track locations - but its just a general example.

15 Years has been entered into the scratchpad - where you type something before selecting it into a position. It might be worth noting that Air Tahiti Nui started operations 15 years ago...
You're a Genius! Thank You!