Old 01-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
James Bond

Default ANA 787 Emergency Landing in TAK - FAA grounds 787

Reported as a "battery malfunction warning" by CNBC. All pax and crew safe.

Destination was HND.

http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-b787-34497.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Last edited by seahawk; 01-17-2013 at 05:11 AM.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
TheKiecker
Banned

Send a message via AIM to TheKiecker Send a message via Yahoo to TheKiecker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21038128#TWEET527941

Gabriel will tell us its no big deal... You couldnt pay me to get on one of these shitboxes .
TheKiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
TheKiecker
Banned

Default Grounded !!!

ANA to Ground All Dreamliners in Fleet After Series of Glitches - NHK
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiecker View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21038128#TWEET527941

Gabriel will tell us its no big deal... You couldnt pay me to get on one of these shitboxes .
Just in (CNBC):

Quote:
ANA Airways suspending all Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights for emergency inspection, following emergency landing tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
TheKiecker
Banned

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...09U05G20130116

17 out of how many? This is unreal. Hey Gabriel how is your teething pain?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Gabriel

Quote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...09U05G20130116

17 out of how many? This is unreal. Hey Gabriel how is your teething pain?
Okay, you are right. It's a pain in the ass. Like when Qantas and others grounded the A380 fleet to check the engines.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
TeeVee

and out come the airbus fanboys....
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
TheKiecker
Banned

But its not just ONE thing its multiple things.. battery fires, fuel spills, oil spills, smoke in the cockpit.. Within 1 WEEK !!!!!

Its a different bag of rice here.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
TheKiecker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post

Yup Im a fanboy of not riding a piece of shit and dying on it.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
Kpeters

I for one wanted to beleive they were teething pains but....too many different problems in too many aircraft in such a short span of time. Boeing needs do something asap before trust in the aircraft is completely undermined.

I wonder why they went through the problem of deploying the chutes in this particular one if it wasn't a serious emergency. That's gonna be expensive!

Edit: Didn't read about the smoke on the cockpit now that's true emergency....not looking good.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
B757300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
Yep, you just know they're beyond gleeful right now. I know a few from the other site who would probably love to see a 787 go down in flames, literally.
“Still- If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” -Sir Winston Churchill
B757300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
seahawk
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to seahawk

I merged the 2 threads about this topic. And please do not discuss each other, discuss the incident.
seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Black Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
Yep, you just know they're beyond gleeful right now. I know a few from the other site who would probably love to see a 787 go down in flames, literally.
Oh come on, no serious enthusiast can be happy about this. In the end competition is good for everyone.
As for fanboys, there is also the Scarebus camp. Many were mighty happy about AF447 and talked sh*t about the airbus concept. There were even a few of them here, and I remember one had a nose-diving A380 as his avatar. There were also plenty of happy people about the cracks in the brackets in the wings of the A380.
So it's not about that. The real question is, what's causing the 787 issues, which by now can't be ignored. Is it a concern? Is it from the fact some hydraulic systems have been replaced by electrical systems in its architecture.
Black Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
TheKiecker
Banned

So when you cant logically defend the plane you blame "airbus fanboys" ?

I thought the batteries were only used on the ground with engines off ( per the BOS incident ).
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Arrow

As an erstwhile parlourtalker, I'm just surprised at the unfortunate-for-Boeing confluence of incidents. I don't know how much time has elapsed since each of the planes rolled off the line but I have to wonder if some maintenance practises might be involved. Obviously that doesn't account for the windshields but coming as close together as they do, it strikes me as something of a perfect storm of negative publicity for a new, much-ballyhooed airframe

Arrow
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
TeeVee

i'm no expert--far from it, but from my nearly 2,000,000 of flying as a passenger experience, ALL commercial aircraft have problems. cracked windshields? happens regularly around the world. not an emergency or quality issue.

it has expereinced some problems though. these according to mercurynews.com

july -- A General Electric Co. engine on a 787 in North Charleston, South Carolina, breaks during a preflight test. The National Transportation Safety Board rules it a "contained" failure, meaning the broken pieces did not exit through the engine wall. GE orders inspections of the engines. The Federal Aviation Administration stops short of grounding planes for inspections.
(GE's problem not Boeing)

Dec. 4 -- A United Airlines 787 with 184 people aboard is forced to make an emergency landing in New Orleans after experiencing electrical problems.

Dec. 5 -- U.S. regulators say there is a manufacturing fault in 787 fuel lines and advises operators to make extra inspections to guard against engine failures.

Dec. 13 -- Qatar Airways grounds one of its three 787s after finding the same electrical problem that affected the Dec. 4 United flight.

Dec. 17 -- United confirms finding an electrical problem in a second plane in its 787 fleet.

Jan. 7 -- A parked 787 operated by Japan Airlines catches fire at Boston Logan International Airport after a battery in an auxiliary power system explodes.

Jan. 8 -- A second 787 operated by Japan Airlines leaks fuel at Logan, forcing it o cancel its takeoff and return to the gate. The plane departs later.

Following a safety inspection, United finds a wiring problem in the same electrical system that caused the Jan. 7 fire in Boston, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Jan. 9 -- Japan's All Nippon Airways Co cancels a 787 flight scheduled for a domestic trip within Japan due to brake problems.

Jan. 11 -- A cockpit window on an ANA 787 cracks during a Japanese domestic flight. The plane lands safely with no injuries.

A separate ANA 787 springs an oil leak from its left engine, which is discovered after the plane lands safely.
(GE's problem not Boeing)

Jan. 13 -- The Japan Airlines 787 that leaked fuel in Boston on Jan. 8 experiences another, separate fuel leak while undergoing checks in Tokyo.

Jan. 15 -- A 787 operated by ANA makes an emergency landing at Takamatsu in western Japan after smoke appears in the plane's cockpit.

maybe boeing should not have had the plane manufactured by 4,000,00 different companies in 1,000,000 countries and slap it together in seattle...quality control is real hard to maintain when there are so many people involved in so many different places.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
mfeldt

A german newspaper (>Der Spiegel< again...) quotes the batteries as the primary concern. Li-Ion batteries apparently used for the first time in aviation, quite dangerous with respect to fire (remember the vaio laptops going up in flames...), and hard to replace in the 787 design becaus so many systems are electrically operated and the plane is *very* power hungry...
mfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
Kpeters

Didn't old Learjets used to have lithium batteries that exploded? I thought I heard about that some time ago.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Aerlingusneo

So if it was due to batteries, how long till the 787s can get up back in the air for Japan. And also won't the subsequent 787s like LOT and Qatar, also suffer soon from the problem?
Aerlingusneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Peter_K

Quote:
ANA to Ground All Dreamliners in Fleet After Series of Glitches - NHK
A glitch is when a hostee call button doesn't work. This seems a tad more serious.
Peter_K is offline   Reply With Quote