Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
porter guy

Send a message via MSN to porter guy
Default Why does FSX keep doing this?

Recently FSX has started doing this weird jerking motion usually to the left while I'm flying. On my GPS the heading is the same but on my main panel it shows my heading slightly deviated from the route I was flying before the jolt.

It's like the aircraft is correcting the heading indicator, but when I push D (heading correct) it does nothing. My plane just keeps jolting to the left and then turning to a whole new course.

does anyone know why it does this and are there any ways to make it quit?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Gabriel

You sure it's not a layer of wind?

Remember the GPS doesn't show the heading but the true course, i.e. ground track i.e. where tha ariplane is going, not pointing. But the heading indicator shows, well, the ehading, i.e. where the airplane is pointing, not where it's going. With crosswinds, the gorund track and the heading are different. If you have the AP in heading mode, it will keep the heading but you'll drift off-course (as seen in the GPS or for example a nav instrument like a VOR). If you hav the plane in NAV mode, that is tracking a VOR or a GPS course, it will correct the heading to keep the course.

If you are flying in a zone with no wind and enter a zone with crosswind you'll feel a jolt, and then the AP will do as explained and the heading and course will no longer coincide.

You can have your wind displayed by pressing SHIFT+Z (I don't remember how many times).
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
porter guy

I determined it was just the aircraft (kittyhawk 737) that was causing the problem.

I will try out the NAV setting when I fly later. I always do it manually (turning the heading) Is there anything special I need to do to get the proper course into the aircrafts computer or should it automatically detect it?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
porter guy

I tried this and it worked. My plane did the random jerk twice but it kept on the right track on the GPS.

thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Gabriel

Sorry, I didn't see the previous post on time. Glad that it worked.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
porter guy

You may not be able to help me with this one, but I like recording my landings to get better screenshots for a Facebook blog of flights that I do.

Every time I try replaying the video, it crashes FSX. It says there was a fatal error encounter and it forces FSX to close. Any help?
Old 10-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Gabriel

I'm afraid I have no idea why that happens.
One only "help" I could guive you, if you want to call it a "help", is that you remove FS and then re-install it. And if that doesn't work, then do the same with the Windows.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
LH-B744

Send a message via ICQ to LH-B744

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter guy View Post
You may not be able to help me with this one, but I like recording my landings to get better screenshots for a Facebook blog of flights that I do.

Every time I try replaying the video, it crashes FSX. It says there was a fatal error encounter and it forces FSX to close. Any help?
Well, I was also very happy with the "instant replay" function of fs9.

But since I am using fsx, I have never again tried fs9. And I have never used the "instant replay" function in fsx, because I found another option to get brilliant screenshots.

I don't know the Kittyhawk 737. Is it freeware, like posky? I can only explain products which I am currently using. So this is a short excerpt from my payware list:
MS fsx Professional Edition + MS fsx Acceleration, which I bought in just 1 box as "MS fsx Gold Edition"
PMDG 747-400 fsx boxed
CLS 747-200/-200F/-300 fsx (& fs9 for those who need it)
... .. . . .......

So, my option for brilliant screenshots is, besides my payware, you should use fraps, which I installed as a demo version (2.9.8_). But recently I saw a problem with the 2.9.8 demo version (32 bit) of fraps, it destroyed my CLS 747-200 INS VC. And this did not happen with the CLS 747-200 FMC VC. But I am working on that problem, the next step after deleting fraps 2.9.8 from my system is, to try another fraps demo version, which is officially designed for a 64bit o/s. I believe the current fraps demo version is something like 3.xxx ...

One of my flights in the year 2012:
PMDG 747-400 fsx in UA "grey rainbow" colours (yes, I know, some good fellow jp member told me days ago, that this UA design has an official name, but I don't remember that, sorry)
dep: KORD (fsx default)
arr: KLAS (fsx default)
I've used the UA-B744 fmc to achieve a landing in Nevada, that basically was done by my 747... So, I had one hand free to press the "fraps key" once or twice.

Edit: Some of my frame rates (with a fast i5 processor with four cores + amd radeon HD (high definition) video card with 2048 Megabytes of vRAM (installed on the vcard and this is only used for video purposes), and the video card is not older than 2 years:
CLS 747-200 INS @ SBGL (fsx default airport, measured at the gate) = 25-30 fps
And I still didn't dare to try fsx "instant replay". Because fsx is a monster that eats up cpus and video cards. May I ask you, what cpu and video card are you using for fsx?

Last edited by LH-B744; 11-13-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Let us insert a "_" will I ever learn this? lol
LH-B744 is offline   Reply With Quote