Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Digital Photographer's Best Friend - The Histogram!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Digital Photographer's Best Friend - The Histogram!

Hi all,

I've removed these two tutorials from the site forum for reasons it's probably best not to go too far into! My apologies to anyone who may have regularly used them, but if you'd like a copy of them then please feel free to contact me directly and I'll happily forward a PDF version on to you.

Cheers,

Paul
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Thanks Paul, for these tutorials. If i understand everything they could definitly help me when editing pictures.

Bjorn

Comment

As ever Paul excellent tutorial. But one very quick question, the histogram on my camera is very different too that of the histogram on the computer, so how do I interpret the histogram on the camera when it's showing peaks roughly two stops from the white point?
      Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post
        As ever Paul excellent tutorial. But one very quick question, the histogram on my camera is very different too that of the histogram on the computer, so how do I interpret the histogram on the camera when it's showing peaks roughly two stops from the white point?
        Ryan
        What kind of camera is it? Is there any way you can maybe take a photo of the histogram on your camera with a camera phone or something and post it here?

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
          What kind of camera is it? Is there any way you can maybe take a photo of the histogram on your camera with a camera phone or something and post it here?
          I have a Sony A350.
          I can't find one the really obscure examples this is probably the best I can find for now

I have attached the same histogram from camera and PS.
          Thanks
          RT

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post
            I have a Sony A350.
            I can't find one the really obscure examples this is probably the best I can find for now

I have attached the same histogram from camera and PS.
            Thanks
            RT
            They're both essentially showing the same thing. The histogram on your camera is exactly the same as the 'Expanded View' histogram in Photoshop with Luminosity at the top and then the red, green and blue channels separately underneath. The Luminosity seems a little awkward to follow though! Some cameras have the option to change the histogram to luminosity only, is that possible on your A350? Also is there a facility to make blown highlights flash black?

My images on Flickr

Comment

They're both essentially showing the same thing. The histogram on your camera is exactly the same as the 'Expanded View' histogram in Photoshop with Luminosity at the top and then the red, green and blue channels separately underneath. The Luminosity seems a little awkward to follow though! Some cameras have the option to change the histogram to luminosity only, is that possible on your A350? Also is there a facility to make blown highlights flash black?
              Hiya Paul, thanks for explaining that. Clipped highlights do show up when there in the mood, (it depends which way the wind is blowing )

I cant find any options too jiggle about with the histogram display settings.

Ill try and find a better example later.
              Many Thanks
              Ryan

Comment

Once again Paul Nichols strikes.

All hail the King of the histogram
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I made it sticky. In a later release of the upload guidelines I will also enter a link to this tutorial.
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                    Prince of the Photo
                    Sheik of the shot
                    King of the knipsh
                    Dictator of the Dia(German reference..)
                    and many many more. All in all, one grand diamond geezer of the camera!!

Comment

What an awesome tutorial Paul! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        Once again Paul Nichols strikes.

This!

Brilliant work Paul!

Comment

Very nice Paul... but I have to disagree with the thread header. Vision is the photographer's best friend

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
                            Very nice Paul... but I have to disagree with the thread header. Vision is the photographer's best friend
                            Ahh, but I said "digital photographer" just to make that distinction!

Thanks for the positive comments on this guys, hope it's been of some use.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Ahh, but I said "digital photographer" just to make that distinction!

Thanks for the positive comments on this guys, hope it's been of some use.
                              Ahh... but "photographer" is generic (and thus includes "digital" photographers), and an analysis of a digital image displayed as a visual histogram (rather than it's true Binary digitisation) is of no use if you ain't got vision now is it? ... so without "vision" (commonly accepted primary definition but secondary and tertiary definitions included), any type of photographer is completley lost. Best friend = Vision, QED

... still a thorough tutorial, Paul

Have a good Christmas to one and all,

Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Working...
                              X