Dead body found in DL59 access compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead body found in DL59 access compartment

I haven't seen this thread yet, but if it is a dulipcate then disregard this one.

Japanese are reporting the body is a black male with a checked shirt and jeans with watch and cell.

You will need a translator.
    Last edited by Myndee; 2010-02-08, 02:39. Reason: needed to clarify - sorry
    I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Incident: Delta Airlines B772 at Tokyo on Feb 7th 2010, stowaway found dead
    A Delta Airlines Boeing 777-200, registration N867DA performing flight DL-59 (dep Feb 6th) from New York JFK,NY (USA) to Tokyo Narita (Japan) with officially 193 people on board, had seemingly performed an uneventful flight and landed safely.

In a post flight inspection a mechanics found a dead black male stowaway in the left main gear bay.

Japanese Police have opened an investigation and currently assume, that the person got into the gear bay in New York and froze to death and/or died from hypoxia. No injuries have been found."
    I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

this is journalism at its best: "froze to death and/or died from hypoxia"

SO it is now possible to freeze to death AND die from hypoxia...just in case you weren't really frozen to death...

Comment

EVERYBODY dies from hypoxia.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

When I read the external temperatures at cruising altitude, I know you don't want to be exposed to them. I would think a body would be frozen solid. But maybe the hypoxia killed the stowaway first so he didn't have to experience the radical hypothermia.

Comment

So... we just had a major terrorist wake-up call... went ballistic on airport security screening... supposedly raised our vigilance to hyper mode... offered the big requisite mea culpa from various podiums... won't happen again... and some very unsophisticated individual wanders into the secure perimeter of JFK and gains access to a 777 gear bay, then goes undetected to any ground inspection before the flight leaves. I just want to get that straight before I call the White House.

Comment

G'day Evan,

Its not the first time, and it won't be the last.

A guy jumped the fence at LAX a few years ago, naked, walked calmly across the tarmac and climbed into the wheel well of an aircraft pushing back. The ground engineer supervising the pushback saw him, and they ultimately had him removed.

Security didn't see him.

This was in 2004.

I, along with others, have been saying it for years and we'll keep saying it. Airport security is about appearance, and has nothing to do with stopping people. Every few months there is a breach of security, if not weeks. That is an absurd situation, and most of the time the offenders don't even know they're doing it! How can you have a robust security network where people can accidently walk straight past it! We'll continue to screen passengers and crew like criminals while others just walk straight around.

Comment

I suppose it's time to put motion detectors in the gear bays and a ground alarm panel in the cockpit.

But then the morons will probably climb into the engine nozzles. It stays warmer in there...

Comment

I wouldn't bother. I've never heard of a body in the wheel well causing any issues to the aircraft. Only when the body falls out and scares a few people in a shopping mall on final.

It would be increasingly hard to do, assuming that both the pilot and ground crew do a proper walk around, and then the ground crew keep an eye on the aircraft in the 20mins between walk around and pushback. I can still see how someone would sneak in.

Oddly, this sort of thing is usually more common in poor countries where people are climbing in to escape their country. Shows how much this guy wanted to get out of NY .

Comment

Probably he wanted to go back to Nigeria, but took the wrong airplane!
                    Bad Karma, folks!
                    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying
                      This incident once again raises the question of course of how effective any of our security measures are. This guy could have put anything on board the plane... body scanners would not have saved the day.
                      Good thing he was not a homicide bomber, or whatever they are called now.

Comment

So here is my question. When the gear bay opened for landing .. how come he didn't just fall off ? Did he have his seat belt fastened ?? .

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
                          So here is my question. When the gear bay opened for landing .. how come he didn't just fall off ? Did he have his seat belt fastened ?? .
                          Probably his body got crushed by one of those 2,000 pounds hydraulic actuators..
                          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                            Probably his body got crushed by one of those 2,000 pounds hydraulic actuators..
                            And he may well have been literally frozen in position. It's cold up there.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
                              Flesh frozen on to metal? Body wedged itself in to keep hold then froze solid?

Comment

Working...
                              X