British Airways MEX-LHR-FCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Airways MEX-LHR-FCO

This year for my summer vacations, as usually in Italy...To visit my grandparents. I got a really nice fare with British Airways, I was really excited, because I had never went on BA.
    After booking and paying I was told seats could be assigned just on online check-in 24h befor dep.
    That evening I was almost ready, I was just missing my boarding pass, and here we go Italy!

BOOKING, PHONE SERVICE, ONLINE CHECK IN.
    It was the first time I did Online Check In, I still like all the airport ritual... but It was fine. On the phone, BA agents (all latinamerican call center is based in Brazil) were good, they generally speaked fluent spanish or english.
    Online Check In was really fast in 15min I had seats assinged... really good ones... Not even a min passed when Check In opened that i was already online.
    RATING: 95/100

The day finally came.... I left my city (240km from Mexico City) at 3.30pm.... on a bus serviced directly to the Airport.... I got there at 6.30pm, just in time for the 3hrs reccomendated time... But I headed to the fast bag drop BA counter.

Airport-Ground Service.
    It was so great walking ahead of everyone on the line. I showed my boarding pass, and was headed to a counter right beside First. I has just 1 person ahead. The lady there was really kind she had a nice big smile and said:
    "Buenas Tardes, can I have your boarding pass?"
    -"Sure, here it is."
    "Is this your bag young man?""Ok, it goes directly to Rome, and that's It, boarding at 8:35, have a nice trip, Adios"
    5 minutes.... and I had about 1h25m free, I met there with some family, and headed to the gate area.
    Rating: 100/100

Just a quickie duty-free buy, some earphones and I headed right to the gate. Boarding was began, just in time, World Traveller seats from 30 to 36. I Had 36A.
    AS USUAL MEXICAN AIRPORT AUTHORITIES THINK SPOTTING AIRPLANES OR TAKE PICS TO THE MONITOR WITH THE SCHEDULE AND DEP TIME IS A THREAT.
    So no pics.
    Lovely Airport. 24h service for huge Mexico City. I'm glad the airport's website has lots of nice safe pictures!!

But the flight information:
    Airline:British Airways (BA)
    Flight number: BA242
    Origin: Lic Benito Juarez Internacional, CIUDAD DE MEXICO (MMMX)
    Destination : Heathrow International Airport, London, United Kingdom .
    Distance: 4815 nm, 5541 mi, 8917 km
    Scheduled departure time: 21:35
    Actual departure time:21.55
    Scheduled flight time: hours minutes
    Class of Travel: Economy Class
    Seat: 35A
    Aircraft: B747-400

On Board Service, Crew, General Flight Experience.

Boarding the Aircraft... Nice to be back in a 747. A nice warm welcome on board and I passed Club World cabin and got the the first section of World Traveller. Flight seemed empty. People looking for empty seats, so as soon as doors were closed... get a nice seat. Since I love window I wasn't interested on the middle seats... but I was hoping to have the 3 seats for myself.

My seat. 35A.

We boarded the airplane 1 hour before the departure... I thought it must be British punctuality, and they want to leave just in time.
    When we started the taxi to the runway 5R it was 9.50
    I had a travel partner in the aisle so we had plenty of space for our belongings in the middle seat.
    We took off at 10.00 pm. We had a really nice amenity kit with socks, shades, a tiny toothbrush and toothpaste and a refreshing towel.
    And captain welcomed us on board. Told that our cruise altitude was going to be 35000ft (during the Atlantic cross we climbed until 37000ft) and our speed 500kts.
    I watch a lot the in flight map on the AVOD.

By the way it was great. Lot's of movies, Tv Shows, Special Reportage about BA's aircraft maintenance, etc.
    I started watching Marley and Me. When the dinner arrived.

Really nice service. And what I really liked is that crew passed after a little time to gather the trash and the trays, you had time enough to eat but you weren't waiting for ages...
    After that coffee camed...

Our Route for tonight....

A little sleep, and in the middle of the Atlantic we had already daylight. I was waiting anxiously for breakfast.

I had lots of chat in the galley with some of the crew. They were awesome. A senior Flight Attendant, was on my city 1 month before... on my neighborhood.... for a wedding!
    The Mexican crew was also so kind... we had a lot of chatter, they told me about their experience on British, and how it's a really good product for the airline to have home based crew for their flights' destinations.

And breakfast arrived 2 hours before arrival.

Some coffee, a croissant, yogurt, a pancake and orange juice...

Still cloudy over the atlantic.... we hope it clears to have a view of Ireland.
    After breakfast, a stop in the Toilette, and I got my shoes on back again.

The End of The Pond.... Irish Coast. On what it seemed a lovely sunny Irish Sunday.
    We soon began Our descent, and start flying over some English Cities.

Captain Turned the seatbelt on sign, and this was our cabin that morning. First section of World Traveller.

You can see Club World Cabin ahead.
    Once our initial approach began, Captain told us that as usually we had traffic ahead to land, So our final approach was awesome..... "he turned left, and then right, and back left again, and again right....."
    We had a aerial tour in London and surroundings.

And we finally got to land... Here's the vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vETPy86Ko8

B747 spoilers.

Taxiing to our gate on Terminal 5.
    Crew welcomes us to London..."ladies and gentleman, girls and boys"... "It's Sunday May the 24th...."On a very British way.. We landed at 13.45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjSiQux_AY0

Leaving the airplane... With 2 hours before my 2nd flight.

Flight Rating
    Service 100/100
    Food 95/100
    Comfort 90/100
    Punctuality 85/100
    Flight Experience 100/100
    Total Flight Rating 94/100
    After passing Security, And having my liquids "cheked" on a funny machine... I was on the gate area.... My gate wasn't displayed yet... so i visited some stores and did some spotting.

My gate was displayed.A17.. I headed there... and spotted my A320.

Boarding Started. I and was one of the first ones to board the plane... I had the 3rd row of Eurotraveller(online check-in result... nice seats!)

Flight information:>>
    Airline:British Airways (BA)
    Flight number: BA554
    Origin: Heathrow International Airport, lace w:st="on">London, United Kingdomlace> .(EGLL)>>
    Destination : Aeroporto Leonardo Da Vinci-Fiumicino, Roma Italia.
    Distance: 781 nm, 899 mi, 1446 km
    Scheduled departure time: 15.40
    Actual departure time:16.00
    Scheduled flight time: 2 hours 30 minutes
    Class of Travel: Economy Class
    Seat: 7A
    Aircraft: A320

My seat 7A

Really nice legroom also on medium-short haul flight.
    I'm 1.80m and i was really comfy.

We began taxi to our runway.
    LHR traffic.

Our turn to take-off... El Al 747.... with a tiny colleague(BMI?), both ready to take off after us...

PART TWO AHEAD
    Last edited by Lochtmans; 2009-06-16, 10:11.

British Airways MEX-LHR-FCO

We were took off 35 minutes late and were airborne at 16.15....
    Taking Off VID:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn_55dNDK7c
    After take off, i spotted a part of this big city... I saw a stadium... any Londoner that can tell me which stadium is it?

Another airport in London, is it STN? Does anyone knows... I guess is it because of the heading....
    It was on Easter London.
    Crew welcomes onboard.... And telling us the program for that flight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j105j4FMJM4

We arrived to Eastern England... Still climbing to 37000ft

After a little while we entered France, and had an tremendous view of PARIIIS!

Can you see the Arc Du Thriomph? And the Champs Elysees?
    I would love my next trip report to be flying to Paris.(JUL17th!)

Continuing with our route... we saw the French-Italian Alps.

We had Lunch over the ALPS!

Here's a window view

We were already in Italy
    Here's our route...

Switzerland finishes and Italy Starts... You can see Milano in the 3d map on the screen...

Heading South to Roma!

A nice effect.... The aircraft reflected on the engine.... I was over the Y...
    You can read... AIRWAYS.
    The rest of the flight was nice and relaxing... We started our beautiful descent into Rome...
    Some towns... on the hills near Roma... "I colli romani"

We flew over BRACCIANO , a lake north of Rome... with it's town and a castle... and a noble family still lives there... Odescalchi Family. Where Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie got married.

We landed on runway 24L. With an Air Berlin landing on 24C.
    Here's the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLkhEcHbzE
    After landing i spotted a Russian plane... Ilyushin Il-96 (thx kit french)

Vueling parked near Terminal C. Where we were headed.

Crew welcomes us to Rome....After an incredible trip, I'm "home", (my home for the next 2 1/2 months...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WupQrN73RDM
    Benvenuti a Roma!

Flight Rating
    Service 95/100
    Food 95/100
    Comfort 100/100
    Punctuality 85/100
    Flight Experience 100/100
    Total Flight Rating 95/100

BRITISH AIRWAYS ALL-IN-ALL EXPERIENCE RATING
    Booking 95/100
    Airport 100/100
    Flight 1 94/100
    LHR Service 100/100 (Lot's of help counters)
    Flight 2 95/100

ALL IN ALL 97/100
    I'll sure be glad to fly BA again!

And this is it!
    Thanks for reading! Feedback and comments are welcomed.
    Last edited by Lochtmans; 2009-07-11, 10:14. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Wow! Love your photos! Really nice! The BA A320 wings view looks like a very good photograph.
      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Great review, love the picture of the 747 spoilers. And the Russian plane you saw was an Ilyushin Il-96.
        "And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension." Senna, Ayrton.

Comment

Excellent trip report and superb photos! Interestingly, you caught G-YMMD, just 3 days before it flew me to New Delhi. Nice combination of a short-haul and long-haul flight, so you get the true idea of what flying with BA is like. Although from the video, it looks like you had a rough landing at Heathrow.

Looks like you got some pretty nice meals on BA. What was that meat on the salad and how did you like Terminal 5 at Heathrow?

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
            Excellent trip report and superb photos! Interestingly, you caught G-YMMD, just 3 days before it flew me to New Delhi. Nice combination of a short-haul and long-haul flight, so you get the true idea of what flying with BA is like. Although from the video, it looks like you had a rough landing at Heathrow.

Looks like you got some pretty nice meals on BA. What was that meat on the salad and how did you like Terminal 5 at Heathrow?

Regards,

Rohan
            Thanks for the compliments Rohan.... I liked alot T5.... it's well organized... Lot's of people in the security lines... but it was quick though... The meat on the salad were slices of ham.... Really nice food on BA... the last sandwich with the beer were superb...
            The landing wasn't a kiss but it wasn't that rough...It was the camera that kind of move... I ha my hand on the window edge....
            It's fun i spotted your plane... so Your're still in Delhi.... you have a trip report for that flight?

Thanks for the comments....
            Daniele

Comment

[quote=Lochtmans;516974]W
              After take off, i spotted a part of this big city... I saw a stadium... any Londoner that can tell me which stadium is it?

Hi

The stadium you saw was Twickenham, the home of English Rugby Union.

Thanks
              Ben Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by leonard320 View Post
                Hi

The stadium you saw was Twickenham, the home of English Rugby Union.

Thanks
                Ben Leonard
                Thanks Ben Leonard.... It's nice to know this things

Regards
                Daniele

Comment

Originally posted by Lochtmans View Post

Thanks for the compliments Rohan.... I liked alot T5.... it's well organized... Lot's of people in the security lines... but it was quick though... The meat on the salad were slices of ham.... Really nice food on BA... the last sandwich with the beer were superb...
                  The landing wasn't a kiss but it wasn't that rough...It was the camera that kind of move... I ha my hand on the window edge....
                  It's fun i spotted your plane... so Your're still in Delhi.... you have a trip report for that flight?

Thanks for the comments....
                  Daniele
                  You're welcome for the compliments, keep these great flight reviews coming. Glad to hear that you liked T5, I found it to be very good, but the flight connection process was a little confusing and it's good to hear that your landing into Heathrow wasn't that rough. Yep, I'm still in New Delhi and if you're interested here's part I of that trip report: http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=47456

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                    ... keep these great flight reviews coming. ...
                    I'll be posting a flight review by the end of july, since i'm going to paris on the 17th.

On the way 2 paris I'll be flying ALITALIA and on my way back to Rome AIR FRANCE

I'll get a chance to make a comparison.
                    I hope the new alitalia won't let me down.
                    Regards to everyone
                    Daniele

Comment

Excellent trip report. You post some stunning photos of the mountains. Thanks for sharing, what seems like a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker View Post
                        Excellent trip report. You post some stunning photos of the mountains. Thanks for sharing, what seems like a great trip!
                        Thank you turbotraker, It was an awesome trip.
                        I'm looking foward to spot again the alps, on my next trip in about 2 weeks.
                        FCO-CDG-FCO.
                        So maybe I'll get a chance to spot again Monte Rosa, Mont Blanc....
                        Thanks for reading.
                        Daniele

Comment

Working...
                        X