Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default Flying under the Golden Gate Bridge

I live here in San Francisco and often wondered if it's possible for a commercial aircraft to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge? If it's happened already, are there any pictures? Thanks
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Big777jet
Banned
 
Big777jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 644
Send a message via AIM to Big777jet Send a message via MSN to Big777jet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J. View Post
I live here in San Francisco and often wondered if it's possible for a commercial aircraft to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge? If it's happened already, are there any pictures? Thanks
It is illegal to fly under any object. Same thing in Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

There is no way to fly any of under bridge. It's against the law.

I was thinking you might saw one of the picture. Someone who edited photo chopped the plane went under Golden Gates is fake.

Stuart
Big777jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default Flying under the Golden Gate bridge

Thanks for the feed back. I didn't realize it was against the law. Actually, what started me thinking was Virgin Atlantic. I had heard that Richard Branson had purchased a new 747-400 for the Virgin Atlantic service between SFO and London and for publicity he was going to have his plane flown under the Golden Gate, but changed his mind for safety reason. I have no idea if this was true or not, but it did get me thinking. Thanks for your time.
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
E-Diddy!
Aching Member
 
E-Diddy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: teh GFK
Posts: 2,283



Send a message via AIM to E-Diddy!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big777jet View Post
It is illegal to fly under any object. Same thing in Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

There is no way to fly any of under bridge. It's against the law.

I was thinking you might saw one of the picture. Someone who edited photo chopped the plane went under Golden Gates is fake.

Stuart
Show me what Reg states that it is illegal to fly under any object.
__________________


E-Diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
ASpilot2be
Senior Member
 
ASpilot2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Paradise
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to ASpilot2be Send a message via MSN to ASpilot2be
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Diddy! View Post
Show me what Reg states that it is illegal to fly under any object.
Agreed. I think you would get charged with careless and wreckless operation.
__________________
You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven


ASpilot2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
Agreed. I think you would get charged with careless and wreckless operation.
If it weren't illigal and an airline had proper permits and took every precaution, how would you be carged with careless and wreckless operation? I would assume that any airline attempting this would have taken proper precautions.
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
ASpilot2be
Senior Member
 
ASpilot2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Paradise
Posts: 3,358
Send a message via AIM to ASpilot2be Send a message via MSN to ASpilot2be
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J. View Post
If it weren't illigal and an airline had proper permits and took every precaution, how would you be carged with careless and wreckless operation? I would assume that any airline attempting this would have taken proper precautions.
Thats a whole different thing. I was referring to the fact that there is no set rule that says you cant fly under anything. If someone were to just go fly under the Golden Gate, they wouldnt be charged with flying under an object. They would be charged with careless and wreckless operation.
__________________
You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven


ASpilot2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
thxcollins
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gamehendge
Posts: 114
Default

91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the
following altitudes;
(a) ·Anywhere. ·An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue
hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) ·Over congested areas. ·Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2.000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) ·Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.,
thxcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Louis Gonzalez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 44
Default Bell JetRanger filmed flying low over bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxcollins View Post
91.119 Minimum safe altitudes; general
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes; (c) ·Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.,
During the opening credits of the movie The Towering Inferno (1974) a Bell JetRanger was filmed flying over the Golden Gate Bridge. It looked like less than 500 feet from the structure to me! (And it was a wide angle lens too!) Beautiful photography however!
Louis Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
ATFS_Crash
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 401
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot2be View Post
I was referring to the fact that there is no set rule that says you cant fly under anything. If someone were to just go fly under the Golden Gate, they wouldnt be charged with flying under an object. They would be charged with careless and wreckless operation.
Agreed I don’t think there has to be a specific law to cover every specific situation.

I think cities make ridiculous laws; like laws against riding skateboards or bicycles on sidewalks and parking lots because some people do it in a reckless fashion. Instead they should enforce the general catchall laws; of public endangerment and public nuisance. When I was a kid I learned how to ride a bike on the sidewalk or in a parking lot when no one else was using them; now days I can't even teach my children to ride a bike in an empty school (with no classes or curricular activities in session) parking lot (which is public property) without being threatened for criminal trespassing. ( because some kids were stunting with skate boards and injured themselves and sued the school and because some kids rode their bikes in the parking lot when there was teacher’s cars in the lot and some of the cars got scratched and dented). The thing is more and more we are becoming a fascist state; we are taking the rights away from the vast majority of civilized people; because of a few that are uncivilized.

I think flying under a bridge could be considered “public endangerment“, “inducing public panic” and it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s some sort of violation of anti-terrorism laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Gonzalez View Post
During the opening credits of the movie The Towering Inferno (1974) a Bell JetRanger was filmed flying over the Golden Gate Bridge. It looked like less than 500 feet from the structure to me! (And it was a wide angle lens too!) Beautiful photography however!
I would think that that would require permission; a written exemption.

I was amazed at watching some of the red bull races that they flew under bridges for part of the show.

While it is an incredible sight to see; I wonder if it’s really worth the risk to the people that depend on those bridges for their livelihood. I hope that that was well thought out.

I doubt a Bell Ranger, or an extra would do much damage; however it would still result in closing the bridge at least temporarily. There also is the copy cat effect; whereas you let some people have an exemption for a small aircraft and the next thing you know is some nut wants to fly a 747 under the same bridge. Thankfully there's not many 747s in the hands of nuts.
ATFS_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Louis Gonzalez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFS_Crash View Post
The thing is more and more we are becoming a fascist state; we are taking the rights away from the vast majority of civilized people; because of a few that are uncivilized.
Well said and sadly, very true. At the risk of being off-topic for a second, in a democracy it's supposed to be majority rule, but this is changing. For example, how can a trespasser illegally jump a fence into private property, hurt himself, then sue the owner? Is that justice? Trivial, unjust "lottery" lawsuits backed by unscrupulous lawyers and brainwashed or greedy clients costing everyone else millions. When will it end?
Louis Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Gonzalez View Post
Well said and sadly, very true. At the risk of being off-topic for a second, in a democracy it's supposed to be majority rule, but this is changing. For example, how can a trespasser illegally jump a fence into private property, hurt himself, then sue the owner? Is that justice? Trivial, unjust "lottery" lawsuits backed by unscrupulous lawyers and brainwashed or greedy clients costing everyone else millions. When will it end?
Yes, you are getting off topic. My intent of this thread is: Is it possible for a plane to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge. Has it been done and are there any photos? Please stay on topic.
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #13
thxcollins
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Gamehendge
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg J. View Post
Yes, you are getting off topic. My intent of this thread is: Is it possible for a plane to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge. Has it been done and are there any photos? Please stay on topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFS_Crash
I would think that that would require permission; a written exemption.

I was amazed at watching some of the red bull races that they flew under bridges for part of the show.
An exemption/waiver from the FAA would be the "legal" way to do it.

Charter Helicopters do it from time to time - check youtube for videos
http://webbie1.sfpl.org/multimedia/s...s/AAD-1282.jpg
[(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.]

But to answer the question in your last post, yes...it is possible given the vertical height of any aircraft is less than the height of the bridge.
thxcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
ufo
Junior Member
 
ufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Posts: 36
Default

Again, and not to change the subject, there is at least one famous manmade structure that did get buzzed (back in the 70's)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_txdqnVP3-c

One of the youtube video responses claims that soon after this stunt the pilot actually flew the aircraft back to the US without being caught. He did, however, lose his license for some other violation later on.

And I'd hate to guess what that might have been.
ufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #15
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo View Post
Again, and not to change the subject, there is at least one famous manmade structure that did get buzzed (back in the 70's)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_txdqnVP3-c

One of the youtube video responses claims that soon after this stunt the pilot actually flew the aircraft back to the US without being caught. He did, however, lose his license for some other violation later on.

And I'd hate to guess what that might have been.
I liked the video. Thanks for sharing.
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #16
JordanD
BCBYH!
 
JordanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: LOAHVUHL!
Posts: 5,105



Send a message via AIM to JordanD
Default

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/13...cb251838_o.jpg

They just flew under the bridge.
__________________

JordanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
HalcyonDays
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,205
Default

Also, an RAF Hunter went under Tower Bridge in London some time in the 1960s (ie. above the road bridge but under the superstructure part). Pilot was doing some sort of protest and knew it would be his last flight.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
Louis Gonzalez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 44
Default Flying under the Golden Gate Bridge

Helicopters flying under the Golden Gate bridge, and a Blue Angels F-18 that looks like it just flew very close:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2319/...3c20f1.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/57...5bb50a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/...7909bc.jpg?v=0

http://www.jmg-galleries.com/blog_im...007_5_520c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/10...224eaf.jpg?v=0
Louis Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Greg J.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 337
Default

Thanks for posting these! I loved them! Just my luck, every year during Fleet Week, I always have to work when the Blue Angels were flying. I never knew they flew under the Golden Gate. Thanks!
Greg J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #20
trickeriche
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default

This past Sunday at about 10:30 am local, (03/29/2009) I was giving a demo flight to a potential student and was abeem the Golden Gate Bridge (over the presidio) and watched two Cobra gunships and a Kiowa fly under the bridge. I wish I had my camera.
trickeriche is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright JetPhotos.Net 2003-2011