Clear All

• Near Miss at JFK

It looks like they barely missed a bad one:

Is not coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo
      It looks like they barely missed a bad one:

http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/pre...il.aspx?id=521
      Its a near hit, not a near miss. If it was a near miss they would have HIT.
      Signatures are overrated

Comment

This is one of the worst runway setups in the nation today. When JFK is using 22R and 13L the risk of a collision is pretty high. Last year I was out on the airside shooting 22R arrivals and we witnessed a near miss. An China Air Cargo 747 executed a missed approached while a Virgin A340 was landing. Scariest thing I've ever seen relating to aviation...even the Port guy I was with got nervous. We were certain they were going to hit. With the congestion at JFK and the stress levels the boys in the tower are under this is going to be the next disaster in U.S Aviation for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy
          No the correct way to say it is near miss.

Comment

Originally posted by 777Captain
            No the correct way to say it is near miss.
            A near-miss is a collision. *Boom*. Look, they nearly missed.

Comment

They need to figure out a better solution for missed approaches here quick.

From the audio it sounds like the Cayman jet never called missed approach. And they really had no idea what the hell to do with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                They need to figure out a better solution for missed approaches here quick.

From the audio it sounds like the Cayman jet never called missed approach. And they really had no idea what the hell to do with him.
                It won't happen until two planes actually collide. Then all the politicians will start "demanding answers"
                Signatures are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                  This is one of the worst runway setups in the nation today. When JFK is using 22R and 13L the risk of a collision is pretty high. Last year I was out on the airside shooting 22R arrivals and we witnessed a near miss. An China Air Cargo 747 executed a missed approached while a Virgin A340 was landing. Scariest thing I've ever seen relating to aviation...even the Port guy I was with got nervous. We were certain they were going to hit. With the congestion at JFK and the stress levels the boys in the tower are under this is going to be the next disaster in U.S Aviation for certain.
                  I agree, unless a runway incursion accident happens at LAX first. You have to wonder what, if any, procedures they have in place to avoid an accident under these circumstances (eg, not clearing a plane for takeoff until the plane heading for 22 lands). Given the controller's indecisiveness (no criticism intended), it seems that they just cross their fingers and hope for the best.

Also, I assume TCAS is disabled that close to the ground, is that correct?

Comment

Vmc? Imc?

What was the weather? Did they see each other? If so, then there's no problem. It's time people started looking out the window. Sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin_Ed
                      What was the weather? Did they see each other? If so, then there's no problem. It's time people started looking out the window. Sheesh!
                      WX wasn't good at all. Heavy haze and low ceilings were present. This could have been a total nightmare, those passengers really got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin_Ed

800 ft cieling.

Cayman was instructed to hold 1,000ft as Lan Chile climbed over him apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo
                          I agree, unless a runway incursion accident happens at LAX first. You have to wonder what, if any, procedures they have in place to avoid an accident under these circumstances (eg, not clearing a plane for takeoff until the plane heading for 22 lands). Given the controller's indecisiveness (no criticism intended), it seems that they just cross their fingers and hope for the best.

Also, I assume TCAS is disabled that close to the ground, is that correct?
                          It seems like a jet lagging after recieving take-off clearance can cause problems as well.

Comment

Lax

LAX is nearing completion of a perimieter taxiway which will allow aircraft to exit the runway and taxi to terminal without crossing any other runways.

DFW has a new red light system which turns on whenever there is an aircraft on a runway, to warn others to stay off.

Small steps. And dont address in-flight scenarios.
                            ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                            Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy
                              As stated by 777Captain, the term "NEAR MISS" is correct.

The tern "NEAR" refers to the distance not almost.

The term "MISS" indicates did not hit.

Therefore they had a "NEAR MISS" means, they came close together but did not collide.
                              Don
                              Standard practice for managers around the world:
                              Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Working...
                              X