BA 777 landing accident at LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
    Of course it's physically possible to run out of fuel. But you would receive warnings indicating a fuel shortage before hand. Aircraft are only filled with a finite amount of fuel, and once you run out you become a glider.

However I am not suggesting that's what happened in this case.
    Whenever you are flying, you have to have a reserve amount usually this is in the form of munites Usually 45 minutes for a diversion to another airport or for circling around waiting if it is ok to land. Luckily it landed within the airport boundary and no one was killed. Someone told us about this in my Aircraft Accident Investigation class. Luckily that this did not end up crashing into the houses nearby.

Comment

If they ran out of fuel, I'm sure the pilots would have reported that they were low on fuel when the alarms went off.

Who knows what caused it at this point, but they managed to claw to the air long enough to clear the last deadly obsticle, and they should be commended for it.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
        ....and now we await the tree-hugging, airports aren't safe, global warming crowd.
        "I hate the noise, the traffic, and the possible cancer I might get from jet exhaust. But I will continue to live here because it's a "good location."

Signed,

Typical NIMBY

Thats like those idiots who build homes in California in the valley between hills. Then they are shocked when there's a mud slide.

/off my soap box
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
          I would be very surprised if it ran out of fuel. Although its a long flight from Beijing there should be a fair bit of fuel left for any sort of pattern hold that is required or a divert. If there was any hint of a fuel issue than I'm sure they would have put the aircraft down somewhere over northern Europe rather than 'wing it' (excuse the pun!) and try and get her home.
          I guess most aircraft carry enough in case of emergencies. But after having a quick look have found that some airlines do/have/are taking the chance:

Below is an article from the Independent Newspaper quite an old quote (10 years).

AIRCRAFT REGULARLY fly over London carrying too little fuel to cope with diversion or an emergency, an authority on aircraft safety said yesterday.

The claim followed the revelation that a Malaysian jumbo jet had arrived at Heathrow with so little fuel that even a slight delay could have meant that it crashed over London.
          The following from USAtoday (a more recent quote), this was relating to a British Airways 747 that lost power to one of its engines.

The pilot made an emergency landing in Manchester, England, about 160 miles short of London, because the Boeing 747 ran low on fuel after facing headwinds that were stronger than expected, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Comment

But as mentioned before, the pilots would know if the fuel was low, and they would alert ATC to the problem.

Another person on another forum suggested windshear. I'm no expert on aircraft electronics but I believe the suggestion was that it had confused the flight computers somehow. I can't quite see how wind could cause this, but the wind down here today has been very strong. So if it is indeed possible, then we certainly have the right circumustances for this to occur.

My experience from watching Air Crash Investigation programs is that these crahses are never the result of one mistake/fault/error. There is allways a sequence of events and so I don't think we can rule out any theories just because they are not possible under normal conditions.

Comment

I'd like to congraulate the crew for getting the plane down considering the cirumstances from what we know, I hope get the recognition they deserve.
              John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

wow, that doesn't look too good, good thing everyone survived, though, the 777 no longer has a clean hull loss record, but as long as everyone lived, its good!

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

The pilot made an emergency landing in Manchester, England, about 160 miles short of London, because the Boeing 747 ran low on fuel after facing headwinds that were stronger than expected, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
                  IIRC, this was the incident that occured in Feb. 2005 - in which the aircraft damaged the engine upon takeoff from LAX, however - the crew decided to continue to the U.K. in order to avoid incurring huge fines (due to EU stipulations for delays and the like). The response (to the incident) was most interesting in that there was a disagreement between the FAA and UK authorities over whether the captain took the correct coruse of action. According to UK, and BA standards - it was acceptable to fly with 3 engines (and not be able to achieve their reccomended cruising altitude - which equated to greater feul burn).
                  Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I hate threads like this, i have been trying to avoid it since i herd the news this afternoon. I wish people would not speculate on what happened or what could have happened. That is for the Uk AAIB to discover and when they publish their report we can all find out as it will be on their website. If you dont know the web adress here it is:
                    www.aaib.gov.uk
                    We should all be very greatfull that the crew executed a safe emergancy landing and everyone got out safe. The effect if the aircraft had landed short even by a small distance does not bear worth thinking about.

Comment

^I agree Ollie!

ad.com had a good thread on it.....Chris, the site down?

From what we've heard, there was a power failure, so it will be a waiting game until the investigation is done.
                      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

[photoid=6152712]
                        [photoid=6152505]
                        [photoid=6152482]
                        [photoid=6152475]
                        [photoid=6152458]

Comment

Thank God everyone survived. The pilot's skills saved lives. Could this be the first written-off 777?

Comment

here a vid of the landing. Such a high AoA ! Almost A330 style

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                              ^I agree Ollie!

ad.com had a good thread on it.....Chris, the site down?
                              AD.Com forums gone bye-bye forthwith. This notice is up

"Dear AirDisaster.Com Forum members,

At about 3pm U.S. Pacific Time today, the web server that hosted the AirDisaster.Com forums suffered a catastrophic failure which rendered both
                              hard drives useless and irrecoverable. Unfortunately, one drive in this server contained the live forums database, and the other contained the daily
                              database backups.

With this in mind, I'm sorry to report that, effective immediately, the AirDisaster.Com Discussion Forums are closed permanently. These forums were
                              home to hundreds of thousands of posts, and to attempt to start from scratch at this point would be futile, in my opinion.

For those of you looking for a place to continue discussing aviation safety, we have introduced a new Aviation Safety Discussion Forum at our sister site,
                              JetPhotos.Net. While I know this isn't the ideal solution for many of you, I would still invite all of you to visit the JP.Net forums, sign up, and
                              participate!

On a personal note, to me, this is the end of an era. These forums were regarded as the most authoritative aviation safety forums on the internet,
                              for a period of almost 10 years. On top of that, they were home to many friendships, some rivalries, and spawned at least one successful marriage.
                              That, above all else, will be the legacy of these forums long after they're gone.

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who helped to make the forums as successful as they were, and would like to thank, especially, the
                              administrators, moderators, and industry forum hosts who devoted their free time to make this place the best it could possibly be.

I guess that's about it. I hope to see many of you over at the JetPhotos.Net forums, and to those of you who will no longer participate, the best to all of you for a bright and prosperous future.

Last one out, hit the lights!

Chris Kilroy
                              Editor, AirDisaster.Com

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow

Last one out, hit the lights!

Chris Kilroy
                                Editor, AirDisaster.Com
                                Oh my goodness! It feels like the day TWA died all over again (and I didn't even participate in those forums...).
                                End of an era, boys. End of an era.

Comment

Working...
                                X