Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting at Brize Norton

Hi People,

Planning out my RIAT trip for next year.

And since at this year's RIAT there wasn't a single hint of a Tristar VC-10 or Herc, I thought I'ld include a day at Brize Norton.

Any ideas on how spotter-friendly this place is?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, few years ago I was in the Uk and wandered over to BrizeN - went to the main gate security office and requested permission to take pics - request denied. However, there are pics on the JP database taken within the perimeters of Brizen, so I guess it's a case of the right connections.
    RobB

Comment

What I can't quite understand is how you are permitted to get within touching distance of aircraft at an air display at Brize Norton, and any other military base for that matter yet you get jumped all over if you stand outside the bases taking photographs ?

Anyway, to possibly help you Mark, the main road through Brize Norton village runs close to the 26 threshold. I have driven past it before and cannot recall any restrictions although I would imagine that stopping near the threshold would be frowned upon and elicit a visit from the police or RAF security.

Take a look at Google Earth. Search with Brize Norton. UK. You will see an area to the south of the 26 threshold where it may be possible to park. You will, of course be hoping that there will be some movements otherwise it will be a wasted visit.

The chances of being permitted to take photographs at any military base in the UK from landside and close enough to get a decent pic are slim to non-existant. Airside permission ?......forget it !

On balance I really don't think it will be worth taking the chance of movements occurring to make it a worthwhile detour.

This is the Google Earth area showing the 26 threshold and main road......

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

My other half used to live there so we have been back and forth as her parents still live there. Bizarely enough I have never been with my camera gear as we always go at weekends and it is dead. I have driven round to have a nosy to see what was about and there quite a few areas at the side of the road of which I wouldn't expect you to have any probs. On the map provided by Brian, on the right of the runway right behind the piano keys I'm sure there is a spot where you can just park off of the road. AFAIK Fridays can be a bit quiet also.

Comment

Have a look here for a good idea:

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co...ze_norton.html

A very usefull site.

Comment

A very usefull site.
            Excellent Ollie. Looks like I wasn't far wrong on the Google Earth map either !!

The comments on the site re: RIAT overspill are interesting as well. Should suit Mark well.

Comment

When I worked at Brize in 1998/9 it was quite difficult to get pictures from outside the base. However, as an employee of SERCO I had the advantage of having a base driving licence which entitled me to drive on the pan area. This led to me being able to get some shots that not many others would get. I have yet to scan many of them but when I do I'll post 'em.

I'll also ask my oppo who still works at BZN whether something could be organised next year for you "furrin" visitors. But please dont bank on it, I'll just ask for now.

Brian you can walk to that spot from Brize village so you should get some shots there. Also going out on the Lechlade road you might find a spot.

Andy

Comment

Quoting ExManx,

Brian you can walk to that spot from Brize village so you should get some shots there.
                WALK !!!.....ME !!!.....WALK !!!!!!!!! Why do you think God invented the motor car ?

But to be serious, thanks for that. I really must take a run up that area one day.

How's the new job ?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                  Excellent Ollie. Looks like I wasn't far wrong on the Google Earth map either !!

The comments on the site re: RIAT overspill are interesting as well. Should suit Mark well.
                  It is a good site, created and run by a member of this site.

Comment

[QUOTE=brianw999]

WALK !!!.....ME !!!.....WALK !!!!!!!!! Why do you think God invented the motor car ?

QUOTE]

.... so people would get more exercise pushing them around when they don't start!

Many thanks for your replies, everyone, looking forward to hear more from you!

Comment

Dont know where you went but I have seen plenty of Hercs at the RIAT....
                      greetings,
                      Philip

Comment

I meant RAF Hercs, Tristars, VC-10s

Comment

Working...
                        X