Too Much/Too Little Contrast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Much/Too Little Contrast

The following photo was rejected for tto little contrast, so I made more contrast and re-uploaded the photo. Now it is rejected again for the same reason.
    My question is: What can I do to improve this photo?

Greetings,

Paul Stam

Well for starters id say use the topic at the top of this forum....

Secondly its hard to tell where to start with this shot. It looks to be very compressed, somewhat noisy/grainy, and lacks contrast on the actual aircraft body.

Comment

I have also been getting a lot of rejections for this lately but i really do not know whether to add / remove contrast. The last batch I had increased it a little but am still getting the same message.

Please please a thousand time please - is it too much OR too little - rather than leave people to guess.

Comment

You know how to read a histogram ?

It is too little if you see the curve and there are parts where it is a zero on the left and/or on the right side.

It is too much if the curve is not a zero even at the extreme right and left side of the curve.

Comment

The latest answer shows why Jetphotos is not fun anymore. It is a very arrogance answer of a screener who knows it so well.

Paul Stam

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Stam
            The latest answer shows why Jetphotos is not fun anymore. It is a very arrogance answer of a screener who knows it so well.

Paul Stam
            Since when trying to help is arrogant ?? I just don't get it. We see many many rejections every day that could easly be avoided be adjusting the levels so again I just don't understand where you see arrogance in Stefan's answer.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe
              Since when trying to help is arrogant ?? I just don't get it. We see many many rejections every day that could easly be avoided be adjusting the levels so again I just don't understand where you see arrogance in Stefan's answer.

Alex

Yep,

if you help, that's how you get appreciated!

You asked for help and he helped and now you say that JP.net is not fun.... Atleast there is someone to help you

An d anyways, I think there is a problem with the attachment cause it looks corrupted here, with green lines, purple parts ,etc

Ruben

Comment

Originally posted by Thebuzu

An d anyways, I think there is a problem with the attachment cause it looks corrupted here, with green lines, purple parts ,etc
                So its not just my screen...

Comment

Same here btw. I also thought that a general answer might be more productive then an adive on the signel picture, because once you understand the historgram you get much less contrast rejections.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                    So its not just my screen...

That was complete rudeness and it wasn't only on your screen!.... The pic is still corrupted

Comment

The screening team is currently putting together a guide for everybody to use to help with contrast rejections, we have been working on it over the last couple of weeks so please don't take the attitude that we are arrogant, we accept that we are not perfect and this is just one of the ways that we are trying to improve the site for all concerned.

Matt
                      http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

Seahawk,

thanks for your question and yes I do know how to read a histogram. I always make sure that the sliders are under the start of the curve at either end yet am still getting contrast rejections. The last batch I sent I increased the contrast by using the 'brightness/contrast' tool (as well as the step above) yet still got the same rejection messages.

Will see if the next batch are any more successful.

Comment

Brightness and contrast tool can not fix everything. You need to work with the histogram (levels tool) and the curves tool.

Comment

Seahawk,

thanks for the reply and in answer to your question - yes I do know how to read a histogram. I always position the sliders so that they are under the start of the curve (at both ends). I have also increased the contrast by using 'brightness / contract' tool but am still getting rejections.

Comment

Sometimes this is not enough. And you need to work with curves. If there is interest with our users I could start working on a guide to understand the curves funtion in PS.

Comment

Working...
                              X