Emoticon problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emoticon problems

It's become apparent that the emoticon feature on this forum has been doing far more harm than good. The emoticons were devised to allow one to enhance the quality and intent of their posts by attaching a facial image.

Lately, however, the emoticon feature has become counterproductive, and has been causing friction between some forum members. It has been determined that posters should put more effort into the content of their posts to relay their message and feeling rather than relying on the crutch of icons for this purpose.

Therefore, the emoticon feature on this forum is to be deleted within the next two weeks. We feel that, though well-intentioned, the emoticon program was an example of yet another system that was designed for positive use, yet used for negative purposes. We do not wish to have to close this forum due the negativity the emoticon program has brought about (much like A.net), so we are taking this measure in order to lead-turn that drastic measure.

Thank you for your continued support.

apparent to you......

"It has been determined that posters should put more effort into the content of their posts to relay their message and feeling rather than relying on the crutch of icons for this purpose. "

"the emoticon feature on this forum is to be deleted within the next two weeks.."

Why wait?

Let's get rid of the childish "signature" banners as well! You should start, and delete yours!

Comment

Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
        :

"It has been determined that posters should put more effort into the content of their posts to relay their message and feeling rather than relying on the crutch of icons for this purpose. "

Let's get rid of the childish "signature" banners as well! You should start, and delete yours!
        While not wanting to have had to single out certain posters as being the cause of this problem, it is primarily your posts that have brought this on. Your misunderstanding of other's use of the emoticon feature has, in effect, ruined the use of emoticons for the rest of the population. In the effort to maintain peace on this forum, we must always defer to the weakest link of the chain, so to speak; and we have done so in this case. The overwhelming lack of useful content in your posts, and your inappropriate use of the emoticon feature, are the basis for this action. The other posters therefore have you to thank for their inability to display their inner feelings in a facial fashion in the future.

Regards signature banners. They haven't been determined to, as yet, become an issue as it relates to the everlasting peace, prosperity, and olive-branch feelings of those that peruse this community site. Therefore, for now, they will be retained in order to allow the freedom of inner expression to flow, and in effect, enhance the quality of life experience for our forum members.

Regards this signature banner. It seems readily apparent that you have a problem with General Jack D. Ripper, Commander, 843rd Bomb Wing, Burpleson AFB, Maine, Strategic Air Command, United States Air Force. If this is the case, I must inform you that it is men like General Ripper that provide you the freedom you so take for granted; the freedom to make posts full of useless content and add emoticons to them; to be able to take photos of parked planes, airborne planes, planes being worked on, dead planes, seaplanes, etc. Men like General Ripper have made up for those Parlor Talkers like yourself in the masses that haven't the time, training, ability, or inclination for strategic thought, and therefore, haven't the first clue of the importance of drinking only grain alchohol and rainwater; prevailing in peace and the freedom from fear, and in true health; therefore protecting the lifeblood of our essence, our precious bodily fluids.

Comment

Kat says...

Sadly i am forced to agree with my assistant Mike on these issues. The use of Emoticons is poisoning the very soul of this internet board. Their bright colours, their cheery expressions, hide the core of dripping, latent evil that awaits in their use. Using Emoticons will cause you to go to hell, wet your bed, go bald and blind. You have been warned.
          I walked across an empty land
          I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
          I felt the earth beneath my feet
          Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Originally posted by Katamarino
            Kat says...

Sadly i am forced to agree with my assistant Mike on these issues. The use of Emoticons is poisoning the very soul of this internet board. Their bright colours, their cheery expressions, hide the core of dripping, latent evil that awaits in their use. Using Emoticons will cause you to go to hell, wet your bed, go bald and blind. You have been warned.
            A very serious issue indeed. It does get frustrating when, as a service provider, you attempt to provide not only a place for people to post their pics, no matter how high or low quality, and further allow them to post their thoughts and feelings, both by text and by emoticon, free from any elitist restrictions; and they take your every entreaty and throw it back in your face. That is too bad, and only causes one "bad apple" to ruin it for the rest of the bunch.

Peace on these forums is fully dependant on catering to the lowest common denominator. And in the interest of keeping the peace, and warding off the likes of Johan-style moderation tactics, we must equally and efficiently cater to all of our members, no matter how important or un-important, they may be.

Comment

:P

The respective emoticons are protesting your move.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                The respective emoticons are protesting your move.
                Greg,

We request that you post content rather than take excess-advantage of the emoticon feature on this forum. In the interest of peace, we do not wish to have to resort to Johan-style moderating tactics. But if certain forum members can't uphold the spirit and intent of not only the forum rules, but basic forum social graces, then we will be forced to enhance our forum enforcement efforts.

Thank you for your continued support

Comment

We request that you stop having regular text with bold text intertwined through it. The forces that be frown. Real content can be provided only when the text is common throughout. We appreciate your cooperation.

Comment

"We don't want to leave!"
                    "We want your signature removed!"
                    "We want your bold text gone!"
                    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Following everyone else....

| My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoe440
                        Following everyone else....

:
                        We're sorry, but requests from the forum lemmingscannot be obliged. It appears that the members of the forum do not take the forum problems seriously enough. Maybe this lack of forum respect and social grace from the kids on the dark side was the exact thing Johan was dealing with on A.net, and we see what has resulted with that site.

Bold is used to emphasize the important parts of text that should stand out. If we get rid of the bold, get rid of the signature; then I may have to reccommend we get rid of the off-topic forum also.

I don't want to have to resort to that drastic measure.

I again remind the slackers here that they ought to be thankful for people like General Jack D. Ripper and men like him that provide your daily freedoms. I trust your time was spent easy and relaxed, while this country's troops did your hard work overseas.

Comment

It is ironic that you used italic font on the word "emphasize" while you are trying to explain that bold font emphasizes things...

Comment

Originally posted by B777-400
                            It is ironic that you used italic font on the word "emphasize" while you are trying to explain that bold font emphasizes things...
                            Irony is good. A little change of pace to maintain the readers attention span. "The mind of the average human being, has very little attention capability, and hence can only be expected to be coherent of, and fully understand, only about 40% of text written on forum posts. Slight changes of tactical puncuation will help these average, and below average, forumites retain up to 73% of written, unaided text....."

Moderating 304
                            "Irony and the Moderator", p. 307
                            Van Pelt Publishing, 1999

Comment

Why are we wasting so much time and energy on a fake threat to disable emoticons?

Did that capture your attention? My little "change of pace"? BTW, I do mean what I said up there, it's not just an example...

1100TH POST <----extreme "change of pace"

Comment

Working...
                              X