The Mach Loop (UK) .. Where ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mach Loop (UK) .. Where ??

The Mach Loop, where is it. I know it is somewhere in Snowdonia but that's it. I am planning a little trip just after Easter and would be grateful if someone could tell me where it actually is. A grid reference would be very helpful or any other direction.

Cheers .. Jid.

Hey Jid, dunno where it is but you might just get in contact with one of the photographers who regularly are there like Dimitris Triadafillou. I assume its somewhere near RAF Valley EGOV.
    Looks like an awesome location for action shots!
    Last edited by philip; 2005-02-21, 13:06.
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

what exactly is the mach loop, sounds cool.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
        what exactly is the mach loop, sounds cool.
        I think its a Royal Air Force low level training area somewhere in the Welsh mountains:

[photoid=108390]
        greetings,
        Philip

Comment

The Mach Loop, well it is a valley in Wales that the UK Military do some of their low flying training in. You get to the top of this hill, sit there for hours and if your real lucky something will shoot by like this.
          [photoid=333518]
          I was with John Higgins last Saturday and he had been the week before with some excellent results. I thought I would ask here, see if anyone else had been and would like to share any tips

Jid

Comment

sweet, I always thought it was an airshow...which, i guess in a way it is. Sitting there for 4 hours could suck. Bring a couple friends and some beer and it should be fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              sweet, I always thought it was an airshow...which, i guess in a way it is. Sitting there for 4 hours could suck. Bring a couple friends and some beer and it should be fun though.
              Thats exactly the plan!!

Comment

So you sit there for hours and a couple of Tornado's go past everyday

Comment

Jid

Try sending Dimitris Traidafillou a message through member contact. He is your man for this and is a friendly guy.

I know that the A494 between Bala and Dolgellau used to be a good place and probably still is but I think the best places are near Bedgellert where the road to Betws y coed climbs up the valley east of Snowden. (The aircarft fly below the level of the road.)

Good luck

Chris

I will be trying my luck at McLoop (Scotland) over easter.

Comment

Thanks Chris, well I saw John Higgins the day before so I might drop him a note. We will have to compare notes when you get back

Cheers .. Jid

Comment

I know it's somewhere around Wales, near Valley I think but I can't be sure. Higgins and "The Greek" are your best bet Jid.

Dale

Comment

Useful link on low flying

Comment

Bring a couple friends and some beer and it should be fun though.
                          Remember, that the Image Stabilizers can't do wonders....specially after a few beers

Cheers
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
                            Remember, that the Image Stabilizers can't do wonders....specially after a few beers

Cheers

Thats why photoshop has a level tool

And thats why you buy a high MP DSLR, shoot very wide, so you have plenty of room to spare...

Comment

One of the places I absolutely must visit before I die!

Comment

Working...
                              X