Video of A-380 Approach to SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of A-380 Approach to SFO

My Dad sent me a link to a video and I thought I'd pass it along here. A fantastic look at a Lufthansa A-380 approach into San Francisco.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/
    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

nice. capt. is a bit of a comedian, eh?

Comment

1. I like the captian using the keyboard...I'm thinking that tells a story.

2. What's with the aileron panels doing all sorts of independent things?

3. The way the side stick sits way over to the side and how the guy seemingly slaps it back and forth- the "video game analogy" sure does fit.

4. Is the preferred technique to fly these things into the ground?- There sure are a lot of youtubes* of firm landings where there's a little flare, but the plane seems to continue right on into the ground at a pretty good clip.

*Other A 380 Hard landings: Oshkosh air show, the hard night one in Saudi
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        2. What's with the aileron panels doing all sorts of independent things?
        The Flight Computer has control authority over the ailerons and moves them according to the commands that the pilot gives. If the pilot doesnt touch the stick, the FC is going to try and make the airplane move in a straight line, which might include the movement of control surfaces. In other words, the FC moves the aircraft based on the perceived intent of the pilot, not the actual input.

Queue pages and pages of why this is unsafe.. let me just get some popcorn real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
          The Flight Computer has control authority over the ailerons and moves them according to the commands that the pilot gives...
          Not what I'm talking about...

I see three independent panels on each aileron.

In several clips we see them do things like sequentially bump upwards and then downwards...almost like someone stretching their fingers sequentially.

...and I think I saw one case where the two outer panels went up and the middle panel went down...

...and let me be real clear- I am talking about THE outboard aileron on ONE wing- there's three independent surfaces...

and not talking about flaps or spoilers or even a true inboard aileron (don't think I saw one of those).

It's a good bit more complicated than what you describe- that side stick does not have a put-the-outer-ones-down-and-inner-one-up input- and definately "What in the hell is it doing now?"

I understand that this could be some high powered super complex computer stabilizing routine ...hey split the aileron panels for a sec to create some drag to counteract a yaw motion....but I still say "What's it doing now?"

...and that does not explain why each panel will give it's own input in the same direction, but with a 1/2 sec stagger.....
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I know what you're talking about, my statement remains the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
              I know what you're talking about, my statement remains the same.
              Ok...understood.

I was a little hung up cuz I don't think the pilot intends for aileron panels to give conflicting inputs (one up/two down) or that sequential run through of an input.

But yes, cue the discussion of "what's it doing now" and better go with microwave popcorn so you don't miss anything.

To be honest- I figured Gabriel would chime in with a book chapter on it being some sort of yaw dampening- but still no clue on the sequential cow milking motion....

Comment

I have noticed the unusual aileron design on the A380 as well, when I flew from Paris to Johannesburg in October 2011. Not KNOWING any specifics I have a THEORY what the benefits of such a system could be: I can imagine that 3 smaller aileron panels can move more quickly and give more accurate control inputs than just one large panel. This way, the aircraft will react quicker and more precise to control inputs.

Comment

Working...
                X