Air india end A330 operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air india end A330 operations

The pair of A330-200 flying with the carrier since 2007 have ben pulled from service and will be returned to lessor. Not sure but I think these were originally meant for Indian Airlines who planned to use them to launch flights to Melbourne possibly Hong Kong and London too.

AI will also be phasing out ATR42-300 from Air India Regional fleet from July 2015 and the CRJ-700 later, replacing them with ATR72-600, AI Regional were to get upgauged with A320s with AI transeferring their ex-Indian Airlines ones to the division but it didnt materiise.

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
    The pair of A330-200 flying with the carrier since 2007 have ben pulled from service and will be returned to lessor. Not sure but I think these were originally meant for Indian Airlines who planned to use them to launch flights to Melbourne possibly Hong Kong and London too.

AI will also be phasing out ATR42-300 from Air India Regional fleet from July 2015 and the CRJ-700 later, replacing them with ATR72-600, AI Regional were to get upgauged with A320s with AI transeferring their ex-Indian Airlines ones to the division but it didnt materiise.
    It is sad to see the A330 go, however considering how many there were in the fleet, and the carrier's financial situation, I can see why they are going. With the 777s, and 787s there though, I guess it won't be much of a capacity crunch. If the 787s weren't there, the A330s be awesome for the fleet.

As for AI Regional, it was about time to simplify the fleet to have it compete against the other "reigonal" outfits in the country. As for transferring the A320s, I am not sure as to why. Would that not compete against the 737s at AI Express?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

^The 330-200s were indeed an order placed by the former Indian Airlines to replace its own 300B4s. From what I recall they were to be used on Australian and regional international routes (Mid-East destinations) as well as London as has been mentioned.

Comment

First two ATR are now due this December and January, A320 transfer plan is off. New uniforns are also coming in soon.

Comment

Air India is one of the intercontinental airlines that are on my screen.

Not only because India is one of the very few 747 operators on this planet. Also because many years ago, there has been a jp member who was here for me when I was a very new jp member. I don't know if VJ is still online.

Palace in the sky, that immediately leads to this picture in my eyes:
          Scanned from K64 slide.. VT-EVJ. Boeing 747-4B5. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

only genuine with the silver belly.

The 747 is such a big AI tradition. I think they fly well with Airbus short haul,
          and B744, or if you like the B773ER,
          for long haul.

Best regards for the 747 enthusiasts at VABB.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

They operated A330 long haul as well, currently 747s only fly to Saudi Arabia.

Comment

The pillaged and plundered 77L VT-ALH is now all pretty and flying again, this and two remaining ships will be used on domestic routes till June, wish Etihad had taken them.

Two 744s are up for sale now.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
                The pillaged and plundered 77L VT-ALH is now all pretty and flying again, this and two remaining ships will be used on domestic routes till June, wish Etihad had taken them.

Two 744s are up for sale now.
                So, the 747s are dually lightly used, and being sold at perhaps the best time to do so in the past decade. Understandably, with the current lull in prices of oil, I can imagine that anyone looking to take on and 747s now (even with the hopes of converting the aircraft to freighters) from a motivated seller. That said, there are other examples of 747s out there, but on these aircraft both cycles and hours are low compared to other 747 operators.

As for the 77L - as with AI's many issues - this is one that has had a solution that is not perhaps often spoken of, or witnessed, in regular industry circumstances. AI has been, and still is, badly mis-managed. The carrier previously ordered, and currently has, an abundance of wide-bodied thus creating a fleet that is heavily handed on long-haul capacity - in a market and with a management team that was incapable of extracting proper profit out of them. In quite a few cases, on quite a few routes, AI does not operate at a profit. The removal of many of those wide-bodied aircraft (especially those that are less efficient than the 787s). VT-ALH was being stored, and while stored for proposed sale to a buyer - used for parts for other aircraft in the fleet. It was not a great situation to be in, but what other options did the carrier have - put the airliner in the air where there was little chance of operating them successfully/economically, or park a few of them. While parked, at least use what you can of them.

If the airliner had been parked in the U.S., at Mojave, it would have been sitting there, likely with the engines removed, and with a few parts missing (in order to have them ready for other working aircraft in the fleet). The same happened, just in India.
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

The 777LRs are going to Etihad on lease this summer apparently, and will be replaced with six 787-9 down the road, 19 A320NEO are also to be ordered replacing older versions.

Comment

Working...
                  X