Drones Sighted by Pilots Landing at JFK Airport in New York City Show New Risks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    The problem is the same than with the laser beams: It's hard to get the offender (unlike the china shop scenario).

Any idiot can fly a drone near (or aim a laser at) an airplane and 1 minute later there have the drone in the trunk (or the laser in the pocket) and you cannot go and search everyone in the zone. Fourth amendment, you know.
    True.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
      We have had a number of laser incidents along the routes into Newark and they were from the Parsippany area, some 15 miles from the airport and they did nail a guy. He could have also been targeting corporate traffic into Morristown or Teterboro. There was also a huge rash of the laser incidents from the boardwalk (wooded sidewalk or strand) at an ocean resort at Wildwood and in those cases it was the vendors giving the laser pointers out as prizes for the games such as knocking milk bottles down with a ball and such.

Even with laws, you have to catch the operator and that is a monumental task. It's not rocket science to boost the wattage to increase the range. Back during the CB radio fad of the early 70's, later in the evening the high watt units would come on and use it as a telephone to Puerto Rico.
      Nowadays all you need is Skype to make a free video conference call ! Oh how times change.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

RC aircraft have become, wait for it........................................................

DRONES!!! such a nice word.

RC stuff has been around for decades and now all of the sudden they are a problem? is this generation just plain friggin stupid? are these a-holes doing it intentionally?

Comment

Don't you know that in this technological age, anything over 10 years old simply doesn't exist?

Next you're probably going to try to claim that music used to come from some contraption that used a needle to extract sound from a large rotating disc...
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            RC aircraft have become, wait for it........................................................

DRONES!!! such a nice word.

RC stuff has been around for decades and now all of the sudden they are a problem? is this generation just plain friggin stupid? are these a-holes doing it intentionally?
            RC airplanes operate within line-of-sight. Drones can operate remotely and/or autonomously. Amazon, among others wants to use them over large distances, navigating via gps to predetermined drop-off destinations. The FAA is restricting them, citing concerns including commercial traffic, aviation safety and risk. Amazon apparently doesn't concern themselves with these concerns because they are fighting the regulations and threatening to take their research overseas.

Brace yourselves for The Drone Wars: Big Business vs Consumer Protection Agencies!!!

(We humbly acknowledge that the consumer protection agencies are merely holding out for the appropriate industrial bribes.)

Comment

At first I watched the drone going over my old neighborhood in the city where I grew up and it was with a detached fascination but then it hit me that we weren't that far from the municipal field (Mercer County), which has a few 737 flights a day and considerable biz-jet stuff.

For the most part you never see an aircraft over that part of the city but in the last few years there has been a hospital landing area put in for medical flights and the occasional police or news helicopter.

That said, I can now predict that some kid will see perhaps a plume of smoke in the distance and decide to go and "see" what is happening. People do weird stuff and we even had a car filled with drunk teens, before they put up the post 9/11 security fencing, "fly" daddy's big series BMW off the end of the elevated portion of the runway. BMW's don't fly well and a few didn't make when it stalled and "spun" in. My point is that it may be a dumb 10 year old or a drunk 18 year old.

I guess if you have to ... brace for this ... knowing that the recovery of one of these things is traceable and if recovered, lead to a long conviction (who am I kidding, everyone walks today), they may not take the chance.
              Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

From BBC:
                Chinese drone manufacturer DJI said it would publish a firmware update in the "coming days" that would prevent its kit flying inside Washington DC's restricted airspace. It added that a later update would stop aircraft crossing national borders.

...the firm had already intended to expand the kit's no fly zone system - which works by checking a drone's GPS location data to ensure it is not taking off from or flying into a restricted area, such as an airport runway.

So, there you go, problem solved. Unless drone owning hackers crack the software in a matter of days...

Comment

To my simple mind, a large no fly zone around airports should be law. Even more important than a no fly zone around the White House, CIA HQ, nuclear power plants. In fact, how about designating small FLY zones, with everything else restricted. That would be my choice. The government, of course, can dictate greater zones for its agencies, though many, many people would prefer THEM to be even more restricted.

Comment

Working...
                  X