Fuel dump over Germany in 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel dump over Germany in 2013?

Hi everyone, I've been gone from the forum for a number of years... (over seven years, actually), and no I haven't spent the time in prison

Anyhow, it's good to be back.

Here's a little something I'd like to share with you...

On July 11th, 2013, I was working at home in the afternoon, when I heard a "heavy" fly over our house, located in central Germany. I ran outside, like I always do, to see what it was... and boy, was I surprised!
    I saw a LH 747 at roughly 10k feet leaving "contrails" in it's wake. The problem was, that it wasn't making FOUR contrails, but TWO. Plus, it was too low in altitude to be making contrails at all.
    The "trails" appeared to be fuel being dumped from near the wingtips. Plus, the aircraft was flying in a direction, not typical of flight operations in my region. I immediately checked "Flightradar" to see what flight it was. It turns out, that it was a LH747 scheduled to be headed to LAX from FRA. I tracked the flight for a while, and took a screen shot of the Flightradar map.
    Later that night I went to Flightstats and took a screenshot of the flight, only to find out that the flight had been delayed by 242 minutes, but was headed to LAX.

I spent the next few days scanning the Internet to see if there had been an emergency or anything of that nature. I never found anything.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd share my story with you all.

Here are the pix of my screen shots.

Later, AC_A340-500

Just realized that the Flightradar picture is awfully small. Anyhow it shows the flight departing FRA, taking a few turns around central Germany, and returning to FRA. The flight number was LH450.

Laters AC_A340-500

Comment

The only thing I see is this:

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Wrong date but maybe Simon got his info wrong. Also wrong flight but maybe you got yours wrong too. The report says they would 'no dump fuel', which is obviously a typo and could mean 'not dump fuel' or 'now dump fuel'. I would expect them to dump fuel since it wasn't an immediate return kind of emergency.

Anyway, that's all I've got.

Comment

Working...
      X