Reno gets service to London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno gets service to London

When the question arose of who (after Austin) would get a nonstop to London: the likes of New Orleans, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake, etc were all tossed around.... but who've thought that it'd actually be little ol' Reno, Nevada?!

RNO-LGW, MT, 2xWk, A332.

LOL, had you asked what'd be the next to get a nonstop, that's probably not one I would've guessed! lol

Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Can't see this route doing too well if I am honest, I hope I am wrong but Thomas Cook seems to be coming up with some rather interesting routes lately. The question also arises as to where they are getting all this extra A330 capacity from as to my knowledge they are only taking one extra A330 in the next year or so.

Comment

Well, it is only twice a week. Still I thought it would be another 787 service.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
        Can't see this route doing too well if I am honest
        Based on what?

There's been an absolute EXPLOSION in service between Nevada and the UK over the past few years: not only have multiple new destinations in the UK gained nonstops, but LAS is also now the only longhaul destination that BA still serves from both LHR and LGW, due to outright demand.

Many of those pax are choosing to include northern Nevada excursions in addition to their Vegas trip. Reno is obviously trying to muscle in on this. I'm still sorta surprised they were able to get a nonstop so relatively quickly, but considering the traffic growth, we shouldn't really be all that shocked.

I doubt that MT would have bitten without significant guarantees/subsidies/incentives by the city and aviation authorities, as well as strong cooperation from the resorts, for its package deals.

Check it out!

Comment

Most of the Thomas Cook seats will have been sold to package holidaymakers.

Trust me America, you don't want to fly Thomas Cook.
          Locost flight service.
          Pay to prebook seats.
          Pay for hold baggage.
          Crap seat pitch.
          Pay extra for food.
          Pay extra for drinks.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
            I doubt that MT would have bitten without significant guarantees/subsidies/incentives by the city and aviation authorities...
            That would be my guess as well.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              Locost flight s.
              I doubt there'll be many Americans using this service to go from Reno to the UK. I was sceptical about this but Concordeboy is quite right about the popularity of Las Vegas among Brits. The city is awash with Brits. I assume the ski market is also a factor on this route.

Comment

Locost flight service.
                Pay to prebook seats.
                Pay for hold baggage.
                Crap seat pitch.
                Pay extra for food.
                Pay extra for drinks.
                ...you just described Spirit: the most profitable airline in America.

But this is European-origin focused. I'm not sure it can even be booked from the US side.

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
                  ...you just described Spirit: the most profitable airline in America.

But this is European-origin focused. I'm not sure it can even be booked from the US side.
                  Spirit is uncomfortable enough on internal (fairly) short haul. I would not want to fly that kind of service long haul !
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Spirit is uncomfortable enough on internal (fairly) short haul. I would not want to fly that kind of service long haul !
                    Perhaps not... but with fares for a nonstop to LGW as low as $261USD each way, you can bet that plenty of other people will.

Turns out that it is indeed bookable from both ends; I've been playing with their booking engine for a while, and have found roundtrip flights+hotel packages for $619!

People will put up with cramped crap all day long, to get a trip like that to LON.

Check it out!

Comment

Reno is a good airport with good access to the Sierras for skiing and hiking (not to mention gambling).
                      Virgin Atlantic used to (or may still) offer fly/ski holidays to Mammoth via LAX.

Comment

Re:

Locost flight service...
                        At first glance I thought that read "Locust flight service".

Comment

Working...
                        X