X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go-Around for taxiing traffic.

Edit: Better URL from Eric.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5T...outu.be&t=27s]

-Yes, this is NOT a NEAR TOTAL DISASTER!!!!

-Yes, everything (well, not everything, but at least the "emergency pull up procedure") worked as it should.

-Yes, telephoto lenses shorten the apparent distances.

BUT

-It does look like a pretty darn grossly bad (not even close to being able to clear the runway) bit of ground controlling (or someone blew past a hold line AND wasn't looking).

I guess I might also ask the question if the taxiing aircraft might not have done a better job and said, nahhhh, I think we'll hold and let this guy land...

No, not earth shattering, but I'm thinking obscure-forum-discussion-worthy at least.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

My mommy taught me to always look both ways before crossing the street. Maybe the A340 pilot's mommy didn't teach him that?

BTW your link points to a time in the video after the actual event - this works better: http://youtu.be/1N5THRSp4hM?t=27s
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
      Maybe the A340 pilot's mommy didn't teach him that?
      Damned Airbus FBW logic...What's it doing now?

What are you doing Dave? Take your feet off the brakes, Dave...your brake application is highly irregular...Dave...

And to think, some people worship these planes like a religion!
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Edit: Better URL from Eric.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5T...outu.be&t=27s]

-Yes, this is NOT a NEAR TOTAL DISASTER!!!!

-Yes, everything (well, not everything, but at least the "emergency pull up procedure") worked as it should.

-Yes, telephoto lenses shorten the apparent distances.

BUT

-It does look like a pretty darn grossly bad (not even close to being able to clear the runway) bit of ground controlling (or someone blew past a hold line AND wasn't looking).

I guess I might also ask the question if the taxiing aircraft might not have done a better job and said, nahhhh, I think we'll hold and let this guy land...

No, not earth shattering, but I'm thinking obscure-forum-discussion-worthy at least.
        Again? How is your memory? We (including you) have already had gone through this incident here and we (you included) beaten the horse until it was dead and then a bit more.

Bottom line, ATC screwed up big time by:
        - Clearing the Aerolineas Argentinas to cross a runway after it had cleared another plane to land in said runway.
        - When the AR approached the runway, the red lights of the hold-short line were turned on (which should have not been the case with them cleared to cross the runway). The AR advised ATC about this before crossing. ATC response? Turn off the red lights.
        - Not instruct the TU plane to go-around (or at least cancel their landing clearance).

That said, there were a lot of layers of swiss cheese still available:
        The UT crew was vigilant, and started a go-around.
        The AR FO could not see the approaching plane at first (looking back over his shoulder), but did so as they started to cross the runway and advised the PIC who accelerated to expedite the crossing.
        The FO monitored the TU as it went around, and with all likelihood they would have advised the ATC had the TU not gone around.
        The planes were 40 seconds, 4500ft, and 200ft apart at the start of the GA.
        The AA would have been long gone by when the TU reached that intersection, about mid-runway.
        If the AA plane had stopped on the runway, the TU would have had enough room to stop before it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Again? How is your memory?
          Obviously, my memory is not perfect.

However, given that

1) This is 6+ month-old-thread on an ass-hat-parlour-talking forum of no critical, life-or-death significance that I participate in for light entertainment...

and

2) That I do, in fact remember that (in a critical life and death situation) pulling up relentlessly for six straight minutes might cause a plane to descend a good bit and remember that if the bottom drops out on approach in a thunderstorm that I should immediately stop dicking with the autopilot and try like hell to fly out of it using solid stick and rudder skills...

maybe...just maybe...my memory is OK.

(Though, I can understand how some other poor human might forget to check that the auto throttles aren't auto throttling due to some goofy ass cryptic FLCHOMUAS-236A mode...but again, I think I'm gonna remember to glance at the airpseed every 10 seconds or so).

...again, not perfect, but I'm thinking OK.

Comment

Working...
          X