X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First solo.....the face says it all !

I know the feelings .........

But........

I wish she had looked left at least once !!

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

she looked right so much that i think she was fine after all if you're turning right, why bother looking left?????

aside from that, i know she did a better job than i could've...

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      she looked right so much that i think she was fine after all if you're turning right, why bother looking left?????

aside from that, i know she did a better job than i could've...
      Because its not that unusual to have an aircraft joining the the circuit direct to the base leg and/or long finals. Just because no-one has been cleared by ATC doesn't mean they might not be there and its not difficult to descend onto another aircraft without seeing it.

Comment

i was being sarcastic...

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Concur

and, it would appear there was minimal wind.

I note the use of carburetor heat and perhaps 40 degrees of flaps.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Sorry TeeVee, it was a long day.

Comment

She really needs an ass-whoopin on her traffic scans. I wonder who put the cam on the starboard, it was obvious she knew it was there and probably altered her habits. Like my daughter, she can't pass a mirror without a pause and flip of the hair.
              Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Sorry TeeVee, it was a long day.
                no worries!

Comment

the real question is, if her instructor saw this video, would she "fail" her first solo?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    the real questions are; is she single? Does her dad own a brewery?
                    Fixed

Comment

yes, of course! how could i have been so daft?!?!

Comment

http://youtu.be/x9aNfiRUOvA
                        1:08 (you only asked for "once")

Comment

I love this video! I'll be doing my solo stage check this weekend and soloing next week. When I begin doing cross country I hope to fly to CRQ for one of my trips.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          Concur

I note the use of carburetor heat and perhaps 40 degrees of flaps.
                          Should she not have used carb heat and full flaps? My instructor has taught me to always use carb heat when I reach pattern altitude since the RPM will be below the green arc. And aren't full flaps standard for a C152 in a no wind condition?

Also, I agree she should have looked left more. But I don't think not looking left is worth "failing" a solo stage check at this airport. Being that is it within class D airspace, other traffic cannot enter the traffic pattern unless they are cleared by the tower. Of course someone can just not contact tower and enter the pattern anyway, but hopefully the tower will notice them and inform her of the oncoming traffic. I've had this happen to me actually where tower asks me to maneuver quickly to the left for oncoming traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by renetrujillo View Post

Also, I agree she should have looked left more. But I don't think not looking left is worth "failing" a solo stage check at this airport. Being that is it within class D airspace, other traffic cannot enter the traffic pattern unless they are cleared by the tower. Of course someone can just not contact tower and enter the pattern anyway, but hopefully the tower will notice them and inform her of the oncoming traffic. I've had this happen to me actually where tower asks me to maneuver quickly to the left for oncoming traffic.
                            Many pilots definitely have a heightened sense of security when operating in controlled airspace, and I am also guilty of being a little more relaxed about traffic scans when I know I'm "in tower's hands" (which I am not proud of). However, especially in the earlier stages of one's flying career, it is very important to follow protocol/procedures to the dot in order to form good flying habits which you can carry on into uncontrolled airspace.

CRQ may be Class D, but what about when she flies into Oceanside, French Valley, Corona (remember the mid-air there a few years ago?)? She might as well get in the habit of scanning for traffic now so that doing so will be second nature once she flies into those uncontrolled fields. As you mentioned, weird stuff can happen at towered airports as well. I once had a Cessna 152 that was suppose to be following me in the pattern fly DIRECTLY UNDER ME at 800 feet as I was flying along at 1000' on downwind at Long Beach (my call to Tower started with "ummm.....").

Congrats on the solo that you have coming up, by the way! Where do you fly out of?

Comment

Yeah, you're right. Forming good habits early on is essential, but I still think she did great for her first solo. I can't wait for my solo! which will happen sometime this week depending on the winds. I fly out of LGB, training at LBFC. I hope to have my PPL by the end of August.

Comment

Working...
                              X