JPEG Artefact/Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEG Artefact/Compression

I had few photos which were rejected for JPEG Artifact/Compression.
    I still don't know why that happens and how to get rid of it, dear JP Crews any advice ? please help me out.

Jpg compression is normally caused by one of two things.

1. Saving the image multiple times while working on it. Each time you hit save the image degrades by around 5%. Save just once at the end of processing.
    2. Saving at less than maximum resolution. Save at maximum resolution which with Photoshop is level 12.

Get used to a specific workflow and only process those images that you think will need minimum processing. Disregard any dark shots, any slight blur. So many people try to recover a dark, blurry image. It doesn't work. Recovering dark introduces grain and you cannot sharpen blur. Blurry is blurry and will never be anything else.

The same goes for overexposed shots where detail is burned out. Burned out means that there is nothing there to work with. Bin it.

Shoot in RAW format. That way you get an image with everything in it that the lens saw. Shooting in .jpg means you are starting off on the back foot with an image that has already lost detail between the moment you press the shutter and being stored on the memory card.

When you are shooting watch the light and adjust for changes. I was at Heathrow yesterday where, in 3 hours I used exposure compensation ranging through one complete stop in 1/3 stop increments as the light changed. Sometimes this happened between two adjacent landings, and they are around 40 seconds apart. I also jumped between 100 and 200 ISO to maintain reasonable shutter speed. I use aperture priority and was also using different aperture settings and was getting used to my new 18-300 lens so the results will be interesting.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2014-10-18, 14:59.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks a Lot Brain for the Advice , I guess from now-wards I need to shoot on RAW.

Comment

Hi ya
        I had this rejected today for jpeg compression artefacts and also for being soft. Can someone point where the artefacts are so I know what to look for in future, ta muchly!!
        Regards
        René

Comment

Originally posted by rmk2112 View Post
          Hi ya
          I had this rejected today for jpeg compression artefacts and also for being soft. Can someone point where the artefacts are so I know what to look for in future, ta muchly!!
          Regards
          René
          A little soft but I don't see any evidence of compression.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            A little soft but I don't see any evidence of compression.
            Thanks Brian

Comment

Working...
            X