UPS Cargo Jet Crashes Near Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS Cargo Jet Crashes Near Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport

A300-600. On approach, "touched down" 1nm short. http://avherald.com/h?article=466d969f&opt=0

Comment

[photoid=7182321]

According to the news, it was N155UP. Both pilots were killed.

Comment

Something went terribly wrong. Apparently he was too low, he crashed into a mound.

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

might have hit power lines also

. . . might have hit power lines also. A local report says that some customers have lost power in the area, and that the aircraft hit the power lines. So sad that there was loss of life - I was hoping that it wasn't the case when I saw the forward fuselage relatively intact . ..

Comment

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was deploying a Go-Team from Washington, D.C., to investigate the crash. The scene is about a half-mile north of Runway 18 where weather conditions were rainy with low clouds.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/14...#ixzz2bxJ6cmy0
            As per google maps it would seem strange that they were coming in to land runway 18, but that definitely looks like the "open field" area described.

Comment

As per above, I've read that the jet hit and broke at least one power pole, and also a "massive" hardwood tree which is broken apart.

Also, a 'witness' evidently heard 'engines sputtering' low overhead although I've found that in virtually all crashes there is some witness that reports they heard "engines sputtering" so I would take that with a massive mound of salt.

Comment

Birmingham News reports debris found on roofs of nearby homes.

Comment

one news report says: "...flight UPS1354, dropped more than 9,000 feet over the course of two minutes about four minutes before the crash."

Me being a non-pilot, can someone say if this would be a standard decent rate for an A300? Just curious. It doesnt seem unreasonable but I have no idea/context.

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
                    one news report says: "...flight UPS1354, dropped more than 9,000 feet over the course of two minutes about four minutes before the crash."

Me being a non-pilot, can someone say if this would be a standard decent rate for an A300? Just curious. It doesnt seem unreasonable but I have no idea/context.
                    Not standard, but not an airplane plummeting from the sky either.
                    4500fpm is a vertical speed that a pilot could intantionally and safely use if they are two high over the intended path. It would typically require the use of speedbrakes.

Now, this is not something that you do that low and especially not if you are below the glidepath, as this airplane evidently eventually was.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

thanks gabriel

Comment

Crew found some hundred yards from fuselage yet cockpit looks outwardly intact. The floor must have been ripped away. Horrible.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          Not standard, but not an airplane plummeting from the sky either.
                          4500fpm is a vertical speed that a pilot could intantionally and safely use if they are two high over the intended path. It would typically require the use of speedbrakes.

Now, this is not something that you do that low and especially not if you are below the glidepath, as this airplane evidently eventually was.
                          Airbus would disagree with you on that (they say >1000fpm beyond the FAP =go around). Especially if you do not have the thrust available to arrest that sink rate when you are falling through the glidepath (see recent events). I hope we don't have another case of falling through here...

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
                            Also, a 'witness' evidently heard 'engines sputtering' low overhead although I've found that in virtually all crashes there is some witness that reports they heard "engines sputtering" so I would take that with a massive mound of salt.
                            And another "witness" said it was on fire before impact (and is always the case with so called "eye witnesses") and yet another said they heard a "sonic boom" from the plane.

I hate eyewitnesses and the media who have no clue about aviation.

Comment

Some photos from the NTSB.

NTSB Investigators on scene UPS1354 by NTSBgov, on Flickr

NTSB Investigators on scene UPS1354 by NTSBgov, on Flickr

UPS1354 by NTSBgov, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X