King Air 300 down near Buenos Aires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Air 300 down near Buenos Aires

A King Air 300 had crashed in a residential neighborhood near Buenos Aires, killing the owner-pilot and his wife.

The plane was headed to Aeroparque (Buenos Aires' downtown airport). The zone where it crashed lies under the approach path. It's a private urbanization with expensive houses. One house is destroyed and a second one caught fire, but there are no ground casualties.

Witnesses say the the plane was flying very low. Authorities (whatever that means, and just hours after the crash) said that the crash was the result of reckless maneuvers. The typical buzz-job maybe?

If you read the user comments in the web newspapers, the general consensus (which I don't agree) is "Great, justice finally!"

The owner-pilot is the former owner of LAPA, a low cost (now defunct) airline which became famous when a 737-200 crashed when the plane, misconfigured with flaps 0, was unable to take-off from Aeroparque. The accident was the result of terrible pilot's actions and omissions, but can be traced to the terrible safety culture that the airline's management not only accepted but supported and encouraged. That safety and management culture that led to said accident is excellently depicted in the excellent movie Wiskey Romeo Zulu (the airplane's registration was LV-WRZ), arguably the movie with best footage ever of airliners in operations. Trailer (with English subtitles) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6H-FmK8QbM

King Air's crash scene:

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

I've stood near the end of that runway, watching those old low-bypass 737-200's belching smoke as they overflew me, wondering how dangerous it was to stand there...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      I've stood near the end of that runway, watching those old low-bypass 737-200's belching smoke as they overflew me, wondering how dangerous it was to stand there...
      Had you been standing exactly there when the LAPA 737 went of the runway during take off, you would be very dead.

That said, it's the first time that something like that happens in Aeroparque after 66 years of operations. So not that standing there for a couple of hours is so unsafe either.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Wow looks like it crashed into both of those mansions, thats a lot of property damage for a King Air.

I still need to watch that movie.

Comment

[off topic][

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
          I still need to watch that movie.
          And what are you waiting for?
          I have a few years recommending it here and, AFAIK, nobody here has seen it yet (or at least nobody commented it).

An aviation safety movie written, produced, directed and starred by a real Airline captain (playing himself) that was fired when he sent a letter to the management saying that if the airline kept operating in that way an accident was not only possible but unavoidable, only to be proved right a short while later. A movie that has incredible footage near and in real airliners that are actually in operation, and when he is asked how did he manage to shoot those sequences he answers "My lawyer doesn't allow me to disclose it".

I mean, seriously guys, how is that all of you, interested enough in aviation photography, aviation in general, and/or aviation safety in particular as to be part of this site and these forums, don't leave whatever you are doing right now and rush to watch this movie?

[/off topic]

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            I mean, seriously guys, how is that all of you, interested enough in aviation photography, aviation in general, and/or aviation safety in particular as to be part of this site and these forums, don't leave whatever you are doing right now and rush to watch this movie?
            1. No habla Espanol (so the movie scares me...will I be able to follow it?).

2. I want to believe that our Airlines in the English-speaking world are run better, so this will never happen to us....therefore the movie is not relevant.

3. Poor maintenance is a crappy and dangerous way to run an airline, my interest in aviation safety is more around poor folks trying (or at least thinking they are half way trying) to do the right thing as opposed to doing obvious wrong things.
            Les rčgles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And what are you waiting for?
              I have a few years recommending it here and, AFAIK, nobody here has seen it yet (or at least nobody commented it).
              I can't access it due to copyright protection nonsense. Do you know of a non-YouTube place to view it?

Comment

RIP.

Comment

I can't access it due to copyright protection nonsense. Do you know of a non-YouTube place to view it?
                  Yes, but only without subtitles and not great quality (the youtube here is better and I think you should not have copyright protection in this link).

La pelicula, protagonizada y dirigida por Enrique Piņero, relata las causas que llevaron al accidente de LAPA en el Aeroparque Jorge Newbery de Buenos Aires.

You can buy the DVD with English subtitles for 1.90 + shipping:

You can see it in HD with English subtitles here, but you need subscribe. You can subscribe for free for 7 days, and see as many movies as you can in that period (and legally so).

You can also download it from several torrent pages.

Comment

You can see it in HD with English subtitles here, but you need subscribe. You can subscribe for free for 7 days, and see as many movies as you can in that period (and legally so).

They want credit card details first. I smell a trap. And I don't dare download torrents these days. The lawyers have stuck their blood funnel into that party pretty well by now.

But I have to find it with subs. I tried watching on Vimeo but my Spanish is very bad and the Argentinean accent throws me. It looks very good though. Even without subs, It's worth watching it just for the FA's

Comment

The lawyers have stuck their blood funnel into that party pretty well by now.
                      yeah, cuz enforcing copyright laws is blood-sucking. sometimes man, you're a real dip....

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        1. No habla Espanol (so the movie scares me...will I be able to follow it?).
                        Have you never watched a movie with subtitles? lol

2. I want to believe that our Airlines in the English-speaking world are run better, so this will never happen to us....therefore the movie is not relevant.
                        Wayyyy to late for that already. See AA 191, Pinnacle Airlines 3701, Air Florida 90, etc...etc...

3. Poor maintenance is a crappy and dangerous way to run an airline, my interest in aviation safety is more around poor folks trying (or at least thinking they are half way trying) to do the right thing as opposed to doing obvious wrong things.
                        People doing obvious wrong things are a big part of why airplanes keep crashing, it's an important subject!

Comment

Yes, but only without subtitles and not great quality (the youtube here is better and I think you should not have copyright protection in this link).

La pelicula, protagonizada y dirigida por Enrique Piņero, relata las causas que llevaron al accidente de LAPA en el Aeroparque Jorge Newbery de Buenos Aires.

You can buy the DVD with English subtitles for 1.90 + shipping:

I've only seen you recommend it in the past few months and had not yet gone to look it up, thanks for the links!

Comment

Working...
                          X