Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WestJet eyeing widebodies for a 2015 debut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WestJet eyeing widebodies for a 2015 debut...

WestJet’s decision to acquire four used widebody jets for routes from Alberta to Hawaii in late 2015 is a measured approach to entering longer-haul markets. An agreement between WestJet and Thomas Cook that entails the operation of two Boeing 757-200s from Calgary (to Honolulu and Maui) and Edmonton (to Maui) is ending, allowing WestJet to use the knowledge it has gained through the two-year old partnership with Thomas Cook to further test the waters in trans-oceanic operations.

The four aircraft joining WestJet’s fleet during the next year are the precursor for a new widebody order in the medium term as the airline is no doubt studying both trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic markets. It launched one-stop service from Toronto to Dublin in late Jun-2014 and claims the market is performing beyond expectations.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...in-2015-176477
    Sweet! I wonder what they'll order...
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    Sweet! I wonder what they'll order...
    My money is on 787s

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
      My money is on 787s
      That was my thought, but with an EIS of 2015, I thought there was no way that they would get them in time. The order would have needed to be placed years ago.

Maybe they can lease something until then, and place a 787 order, or try to squeeze in on a few 777s if they can get in the queue. I wonder how long the wait will be if they placed an order today.

Hell, I wouldn't think that Airbus would be out of the running either. I am sure they can make a compelling offer. Their A330 now, A350 later package might be a great saving grace.

Comment

not sure how closely you guys are following this or if this has already been said in another forum but their widebodies will be the B767-300ER (WL) due to launch next year on their Alberta-Hawaii routes due to the Thomas Cook contract being up.

Then who knows
        I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Actually Flightglobal has already announced it will be adding four 767-300ERs to its fleet for long-haul Hawaii services.

Certainly a departure from the Southwest model the airline was based on. Then again, the Canadian market is way different then the U.S. market of course. Lots of people wanting to head down to warmer climates in the bitter cold winters, joining the birds (both natural and mechanical). And Westjet knows it's way around western Canada pretty well. It migh even use some of those 76s later on for Carribbean services, who knows.

Comment

WAIT! I just got it. Was Air Canada Rouge opened as a response to this?

They will both operate a smaller type (A320, 737) and 767s for larger routes.

Given AirCanada's past, this would fit.

Or, am I reading too much into it?

Comment

Not sure if it was launched as a direct competition, if it was I don't think Rouge is doing too well to attract customers. Seat pitch of 29"? Ouch. And people think Southwest is "cattle class" Not surprisingly most of the reviews have been negative.

Comment

No, Rouge was created over a year ago and this only just came out last month.

Rouge was created because Air Canada couldn't compete price wise with Air Transat and Sunwing which is interesting because those airlines have existed for a long time yet only now Air Canada makes a "low cost" international model

Comment

actually Air Canada's response to Westjet was Zip back in 2004

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
                    actually Air Canada's response to Westjet was Zip back in 2004
                    Another failed attempt to kill Westjet.
                    Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by canair67 View Post
                      Another failed attempt to kill Westjet.

Comment

Working...
                      X