Alaska Airlines/ Horizon Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Airlines/ Horizon Air

What are your opinions of Alaska/Horizon? I have been flying on them while commuting to work and have enjoyed them quite a lot. Any thoughts on this airline? I am applying to work for them as an F/O as well.

Honest Opinion
    I avoid them.

Reason

the last 4 flights with them before I quit flying them were avg 3 - 4 hours delayed and lost my bags on every flight.

Comment

When I fly I choose Alaska whenever I can because of their great service. I believe Alaska also makes a profit every year.

Comment

I'd work for them in a heartbeat...
        The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Best Airline in the USA. Period.

Comment

Not sure I want to fly with a pilot who seeks work advice on this forum.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

My brother has been flying for them for almost 16 years and seems to love his job. Alaska had a rough patch a few years ago where they cut salaries, furloughed pilots, etc (as with almost every other US airline), but thing are looking great now. There's a lot of island flying, new planes, new iPads, etc.

I've heard that they're planning on hiring 12 pilots a month, every month, for the foreseeable future (although the hiring window is closed now, so they're only taking people from the resume pool). Connections to Alaska Airlines, and if not to the Pacific Northwest is basically a necessity. A recent new-hire class profile that I saw showed that out of 12 people in the class, 10 were from Horizon/Era/PenAir, 8 were born in the state of Washington, and 3 had a family member at the airline.

E-mail/PM me if you have any specific questions.

Comment

If you could get into the airline, I would say definitely go for it.

-Firstly, you have the new aircraft coming.
                -Secondly, the airline has built itself (in the past few years) as a major player on the West Coast.
                -Thirdly, and especially in the past few years, the airline has given off a very progressive vibe in terms of planned expansions, the use of new technologies and a strong background of working well within a planned budget.

I have two friends that work for Alaska Airlines, as ground staff, and both thoroughly love what they do. It's odd to compare them to their counterparts at other airlines where the level of satisfaction is lower, and it correlates to the last point I made above.

Something else to consider - as a pilot, working for Alaska Airlines, you will have alot to learn, and alot to keep your interested in what you do. Unlike, say, working for most other airlines in the U.S. you'll have the ability, knowledge and experience of flying the tough Alaskan North, the foggy Seattle approached, the beautiful Hawaiian skies, and the balmy Mexican hotspots. And few carriers do more with a 737's range than Alaska Airlines. Even if you ultimately did not settle with them, those skills are marketable to almost any other carrier.

Again, if you can get it, you should definitely go for it!
                Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions! Overall that is what I was thinking with regards to this company, but it is nice to get honest opinions from all sides and people. hopefully I get the job!

Comment

Working...
                  X