VIDEO: slightly rough landing at EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: slightly rough landing at EWR

This is my first attempt at HD aviation videography, so figured I'd ask you guys' opinion on it. I'd like to do a lot more of these, and will probably invest in better eqp.

Likes? Dislikes? Suggestions? What yall think?
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Video looks okay to me. I'm not really sure what was rough about the landing, though.

Comment

Video looks fine. Maybe with all the spoiler deflection on short final it was a tad bumpy?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
        I'm not really sure what was rough about the landing, though.
        I guess it's tough to tell by looks, but basically what happened:
        Is that the right MLG made contact first, then bounced... slamming us down on the left MLG (my side) pretty hard (which is the actual point of contact you're seeing in the vid). Spoilers came up about a sec later, and set us down on both.

If you turn the volume up, you can easily hear the right MLG connect at 1:20 but the left/spoilers don't hit until 1:23 in the clip.

I think part of what made the effect a bit more pronounced for those of us onboard, is that it seemed like we were going to land hard on the right MLG... and when the exact opposite happened, it just threw me for a small surprise.

Check it out!

Comment

I dont know what do you expect from a landing? For me it looks quiet normal and not rough.

Every landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Every landing you can use the aircraft again is a fantastic landing!

Comment

Originally posted by Soaring1972 View Post
            (...)Every landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Every landing you can use the aircraft again is a fantastic landing!
            *lol... very true!

Comment

I don't think he was being too critical of the landing, just discussing it. And you can definitely tell there was a stiff crosswind on final the crew had to deal with. Which in those conditions called for a low-wing landing where one main makes contact followed by the other then both settle on the runway, routine stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaring1972 View Post
                I dont know what do you expect from a landing?
                You mean, aside from the fact that I specifically outlined that very thing, in the post immediately preceding yours... right?
                Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                I think part of what made the effect a bit more pronounced for those of us onboard, is that it seemed like we were going to land hard on the right MLG... and when the exact opposite happened, it just threw me for a small surprise.

Check it out!

Comment

I only think that the landing was a quiet normal one. and not every landing is a smooth super soft one.

Comment

Hey, I'm going to be the one schmuck that defends the original poster. That landing looks rougher than average.

That's not saying it's a "Near Total Air Disaster!!!!!!!!!!!", and apparently it didn't even rank an announcement from the Flight attendants razzing the flight crew (that would be the real proof that it was rough).

I'm guessing that the pilot had a little fun working the plane down and I'd also guess that the pilots did NOT brag about a gentle touchdown nor claim that it was a great, gentle touchdown.

The OP deserves acknowledgement that it was a little bit rough.
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Indeed, the approach itself wasn't all that bad... bit of swaying. It was just the hard contact on the left MLG that sorta surprised everyone, when we'd been pulling rightward (into the wing) for pretty much the whole approach.

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        Hey, I'm going to be the one schmuck that defends the original poster. That landing looks rougher than average.

That's not saying it's a "Near Total Air Disaster!!!!!!!!!!!", and apparently it didn't even rank an announcement from the Flight attendants razzing the flight crew (that would be the real proof that it was rough).

I'm guessing that the pilot had a little fun working the plane down and I'd also guess that the pilots did NOT brag about a gentle touchdown nor claim that it was a great, gentle touchdown.

The OP deserves acknowledgement that it was a little bit rough.
                        It probably was a little rough. Sometimes they come together well and sometimes not-so-much. I'll readily admit to making some of those not-so-great landings.

Early in my career when I was flying for the commuters and I was the one making the "welcome to Yakima (or Wenatchee...or Spokane)" announcement, I would sometimes add the phrase "backboards and neck braces will be available at the door" after a not-so-stellar landing. I decided a little later in my career that that probably wasn't the smartest statement to make given the love of people to hire lawyers and sue...
                        The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Working...
                        X