Cargo Plane crashes off Chicago Midway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leftseat86 View Post
    Case in point, do you know of any instance in the USA where an airport was shut down because of proximity to a residential area after a crash?
    Ok, my context was political. I'm sure that that lots of small airports have closed because the neighbors got riled up over noise, safety, whatever and the airport owners decided the hassle wasn't worth it- and I'm sure planes potentially falling on the school yard at recess was cited in the arguments for many of these, and I'd bet a beer that at least a couple of them were inspired when a plane did fall near a house- but I have no way to research that.

No, that is not "an airport closing as the direct result of a crash".

I still take a little issue with your dismissal that it's no more dangerous next to the airport than away. Draw a box around the approach and departure paths of any airport, and you'll find crashes. Big airports and small- Delta 191, AA-191, Many other wind sheer crashes. Over the last 20 years, I can also think of about four instances of light planes falling out of the sky turning final, short final, just after take off. Just in the last two weeks, we have this plane and the one at Wichita...crashing "right next to" the airport. I struggle to think of an en route plane falling in a neighborhood- sure there's some, but back to the old adage that takeoff and landing are the most critical and dangerous phases of flights. Planes are concentrating, following fairly specific flight paths and getting close to the ground...that equals an increased risk...sure, it's a small increase of a small risk, but as they say, the stats mean nothing when the plane crashes on your house.

...and my bottom line was still political...those folks are great at blowing facts out of proportion.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      What does piss me off is people who buy a nice cheap house which is cheap because it's near an airport......and then complain that it's near a nasty, noisy airport !...
      Reminds me of the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard)...
      Ironically, when we bought our house, we had to sign a form acknowledging that there was an airport in the community. "No problem, I thought, the approach path is a few miles south of us along the interstate."

So, after a few mornings of listening to biz jets fly by at 5:00 AM, I check and see that the runway was angled ~20 degrees compared to the interstate and that the final approach course was extremely close to our house, a mile or two out from the ILS outer marker...

Fortunately, I mostly enjoy the passing traffic, although the 5:00 AM arrivals make me wish they didn't have some visual approach course that would keep them over the nearby farmland or the busy highway.

I should have checked the map closer, but the foul is on me, and it's fun tracking operations during storms that conflict with Boeing Bobby and Gabriel's standards. And yeah, I think we got a good price too.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I will say that I don't see how those residents do it. On a few occasions, I had to do some surveillance work in Elizabeth near Newark's airport and on the Jersey side of the Delaware off Philadelphia International. The factories of the riverfront are adjoined by the former homes of the workers. It was difficult communicating with my partner who was just a few feet away and it really made me think about how those folks endure this all day and all night.

Compare that to my friend who was the "ringleader" of banning jet traffic at Mercer Airport which only has perhaps a few "heavy" (for us in a Beech Sport it's heavy ), 737's and random biz-jet flights. I have never noticed the traffic when I had been visiting at his place at all.

Realtors in our area were known to take the back door in when showing homes by one local strip but you would think that names of streets like "Cherokee Drive" or "Piper Place" would have tipped them off. The airport owner built the development.

** I am a bit deaf from having my mouse ears come off while testing some jets at high power settings required before returning a plane to service after things like changing out an engine. It has to be worse for someone who can actually hear.
        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
          I will say that I don't see how those residents do it. On a few occasions, I had to do some surveillance work in Elizabeth near Newark's airport and on the Jersey side of the Delaware off Philadelphia International. The factories of the riverfront are adjoined by the former homes of the workers. It was difficult communicating with my partner who was just a few feet away and it really made me think about how those folks endure this all day and all night.
          Living in Elizabeth aircraft noise is the least of your worries...

Comment

ATLcrew, after Newark, Camden and Elizabeth, I am truly shocked that I actually made it to retirement.

It sounds like you are familiar with that area?
            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
              ATLcrew, after Newark, Camden and Elizabeth, I am truly shocked that I actually made it to retirement.

It sounds like you are familiar with that area?
              Indeed I am. I wouldn't live anywhere in Union County much East of Springfield or immediately West of Scotch Plains. Essex County much East of Short Hills doesn't sound appealing either.

Comment

Working...
              X