Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Personal- Human factors, swiss cheeze, break-neck speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Personal- Human factors, swiss cheeze, break-neck speeds...

...Been driving for almost 40 years.

Don't know what the heck the deal was. I got a good nights sleep, but was feeling a bit tired.

I woke up zooming down the median at 70 MPH, all four tires in the grass.

It took me a second to get my SA straight, fortunately the trees were of the fescue variety. No guard rails, culverts, embankments, drop offs... Yep the next piece of swiss cheese was solid and nothing bad sneaked through.

I gently applied brakes and rejoined the concrete...

Yes, this is not aviation...my PND only uttered a quiet "umm" and there was no fancy Google guidance system watching my back.

That being said- whenever we see human failures in our aviation world that involve big mistakes, we do need to pause and ask honestly- is it one of those things that unfortunately- and rarely- will still, nonetheless happen sometimes...

(PS- I did not pull back relentlessly on the wheel- and as you can see, I was aware of my speed and attitude)
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Yup. If Forrest Gump is to be believed..... Shit happens !
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

That was a good screwing-up, but an even better recovery.
      Root cause: human error.
      Corrective action: Let the humans not err (or, alternatively, remove humans from the system, then the humans who design and build the systems are the ones that are going to err).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        ...my PND only uttered a quiet "umm"
        Ah, yes. Cockpit gradient.

How's the hangover?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

How's the hangover?
          My usual PND would have said much more than "umm", including coarse language and rude questioning of my abilities and mental sanity.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

How's the hangover?
            No alcohol was involved.

There were some cultural cockpit gradient factors that may have contributed.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
            X