Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loss of control and in-flight breakup, Gemini Helicopters Inc., Robinson R44 Raven II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of control and in-flight breakup, Gemini Helicopters Inc., Robinson R44 Raven II

While cleaning up a wikipedia listing of accidents involving helicopters and other aircraft used in the news media (Wikipedia: List of news aircraft accidents & incidents). I started trying to run down official reports for accidents that did not have one. While going through the Canadian TSB reports I found one helicopter incident that while unrelated to what I was doing, is absolutely horrifying.

As to the cause of the accident, this quote from the report says it all:

At 1545, the pilot was observed to be staggering and smelling of alcohol. On being questioned, the pilot uttered some derogatory remarks.
    Loss of control and in-flight breakup, Gemini Helicopters Inc., Robinson R44 Raven II (Helicopter), C-GOCM, Fox Creek, Alberta 21 nm SW, 27 January 2013

Originally posted by Graham2001 View Post
    While cleaning up a wikipedia listing of accidents involving helicopters and other aircraft used in the news media (Wikipedia: List of news aircraft accidents & incidents). I started trying to run down official reports for accidents that did not have one. While going through the Canadian TSB reports I found one helicopter incident that while unrelated to what I was doing, is absolutely horrifying.

As to the cause of the accident, this quote from the report says it all:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...9/a13w0009.asp
    Can't believe that is all that rare. Bet they don't bother to inform the public of all the times they PREVENT pilots from taking off physically incapacitated.

Comment

I would not doubt that it has happened before in the past. On the list I am currently editing, there is at least one incident (1982-12-17, Larkspur, Colorado) where alcohol (as opposed to bravado) was involved.

Comment

Pushing the cyclic forward following a pull-up or rapid climb, or even from level flight, produces a low-G (weightless) flight condition. If the helicopter is still pitching forward when the pilot applies aft cyclic to reload the rotor, the rotor disc may tilt aft relative to the fuselage before it is reloaded. The main rotor torque reaction will then combine with tail rotor thrust to produce a powerful right rolling moment on the fuselage. With no lift from the rotor, there is no lateral control to stop the rapid right roll and mast bumping can occur. Severe in-flight mast bumping usually results in main rotor shaft separation and/or rotor blade contact with the fuselage.
        Mast bumping, the curse of the semi-rigid "teetering" rotor. I wonder how many helo pilots understand the risk of low-g flight on such machines. Here's a real square military video explaining it, if you have absolutely nothing better to do for the next 20 mins.

U.S. ArmyMast Bumping - Causes and PreventionNTIS AVA11345VNB1, 1982This video will help Army pilots identify the warning signs of mast bumping and move to c...

Comment

Working...
        X