Evacuation slide deploys on United flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evacuation slide deploys on United flight

An evacuation slide apparently decided to take matters into its own hands on a United flight yesterday: http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-airl...ry?id=24360530

Followed by the predictable media hype: "flight descended almost 20,000 feet in 10 minutes" etc. etc.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Originally posted by elaw View Post
    An evacuation slide apparently decided to take matters into its own hands on a United flight yesterday: http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-airl...ry?id=24360530

Followed by the predictable media hype: "flight descended almost 20,000 feet in 10 minutes" etc. etc.
    Wow!!! That's a... 2000fpm descent?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

But I love more the comment of the aviation expert:

ABC News aviation consultant John Nance, a retired commercial pilot, called the situation "unusual."

"This is a very, very rare instance to have an emergency slide deploy inside the airplane, especially if it was spontaneous,"
      Because non-spontaneous emergency slide deploy inside the airplane are not very, very rare, but nonexistent altogether.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

I'm waiting for the inevitable witness on the ground who saw flames coming from the airplane...
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Wow!!! That violates stable approach criteria!
          Fixed

...fortunately, the pilots were able to pull up from the dive and guide the crippled plane to an emergency landing.

That being said, what's wrong with this forum? How come I have to be the one to ask, "What's it doing now?"
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            "What's it doing now?"
            Filling up.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
              I'm waiting for the inevitable witness on the ground who saw flames coming from the airplane...
              That'll be me then.

The flash of light from the flames shot up into the atmosphere, bounced off the Heaviside Layer, got reflected off the Aurora Borealis, followed the electro magnetic curvature of the earth over to England and lit up my lounge window.

Either that......or my neighbour just pulled into his driveway with his headlights on full beam again.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
              X