BA777 Fire KLAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaw View Post
    But from a lay person's perspective, the job of a fire suppression system is to suppress a fire. In this case, did the fire suppression system suppress the fire? No.
    If a person expects that the sprinkler in his garage will help with his kitchen fire, "lay" is not exactly the adjective that I would use to describe that person.[/QUOTE]

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
      I would assume that the design goal for the system is for it to be able to extinguish any type of fire that reasonably would be anticipated.

Keep in mind that 99% of the time that the engines are running, aircraft are airborne. The engine fire suppression system only delivers suppression agent for a few seconds at most. That usually would not be long enough to make a significant difference in getting pax out of the aircraft, and definitely is not long enough to get the aircraft down from 30,000 feet onto a runway, stopped, and the pax evacuated.
      Yes but this was NOT engine fire for God sake!!!
      Didn't you all see the videos? Or are we talking of a different case here?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        There was an uncontained engine failure.
        Shrapnel severed fuel tanks or fuel lines.
        Fuel started to spill. With the airplane in motion, that is not much of a problem.
        When the plane stopped, the fuel started to form a puddle or pool (hence the name) and something (hot brakes, hot shrapnel from the engine, sparks) ignited it.
        The fuel still kept spilling so the fire had a constant source of fuel to keep burning. In the meantime it also burned the composite fuselage/wing fairing and other combustible materials.
        When the firefighters arrived and started to spray AFFF they put out the fire almost immediately, because it was all external. The water cools the hot parts, the foam covers the fuel depriving it from O2, and the force of the AFFF jets washes out the fuel too.
        The thing that puzzles me is the lack of evidence (at least in the photos I've seen) of a large fuel spill. If it was a pool fire, I'm assuming it was just residual fuel downstream of the fuel spar valve (closed by the fire handle) spilling from a damaged line. If a tank was ruptured I would expect to see more evidence of fuel spillage.

It seems to me that there was very little "real" source of energy for the fire other than the jet fuel. The composites have fire retardants that make then unable to sustain fire by themselves. They can burn but with an external source of energy, because their burning takes more energy than it creates.
        Do a bit more reading on that. Flammability is a real issue here and Boeing is looking further into it following the 787 ELT fire.

Comment

Yes but this was NOT engine fire for God sake!!!
          Didn't you all see the videos? Or are we talking of a different case here?
          Too nit-picky Gabe.

You've got an engine burning kerosene in it's burner cans...

The engine blows apart severing fuel lines, and creating sparks and you get a nice spectacular fire to put in your dramatic breaking-news report.

It sure as hell IS an engine-related fire, even though it's not a true textbook definition engine fire as we know it.

I agree that the press generally sucks in using overly dramatic headlines, missing facts, and making a good effort to learn something meaningful and accurate...but conversely, "Engine fire" is probably a fair term.

...now, does the press need to interview some hell-better aeroengineer who will say, "the fire suppression system addresses fire HERE, and would not be expected to address a fire THERE (and two or three supporting statements)...sure.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

The only way CNN gets a pass here is if the fire switch didn't work, i.e it failed to close valves and circuits to isolate and disable the engine. The article says nothing about this however.

Comment

Actually I have to admit I haven't watched the videos but have looked at a lot of still photos and it appears the bulk of the fire was not within the engine but between it and the fuselage.

That's not to say the fire didn't originate in the engine and spread... or it's possible the engine ejected something that punctured a fuel tank in the wing and the fire started at or near the point of impact.
              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

CNN - Cable News Nonsense

I rest my case:

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Most modern news...Nonsense...
                  Fixed.

By the way 1985...I'll paraphrase an article I read:

"The control tower could be heard on the CVR telling Delta 191 to go around, but for some reason, the pilots chose to ignore the order"

So, same ole stuff, 30 years later (yeah, maybe they're even BETTER at missing the boat today)

...and, another favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBRZJqLp5o

More factual, less hype?
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                    *Sigh*

As usual, people had to stop and get their carry on luggage. One of these days, people are going to die because of that.
                    I think it's time for airlines to start banning people who do this. It's the only method that will get the message across.

or maybe someone can make an aircraft equivalent of this.
                    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                      I think it's time for airlines to start banning people who do this. It's the only method that will get the message across.
                      We should think about that for a moment...

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post

or maybe someone can make an aircraft equivalent of this.
                        And that's without JP-1.

Comment

abc news report video:
                          - Usual dose of nonsense.
                          - Video taken from inside the plane.
                          - I can tell you that I would have been guilty of NOT complying with the instructions of the crew.

Comment

...- I can tell you that I would have been guilty of NOT complying with the instructions of the crew...
                            The ones to sit tight...

OR

...the ones to leave your carry-on's behind?

You know, we are guilty of wanting it both ways:

..."taking your carry on is a violation of FAR's, blah blah blah"...

..."sitting there NOT opening the emergency exit, when you might only have 90 (60? 30?, 15?) seconds before the smoke gets you...to hell with FAR's, crew instructions, and CRM while the captain calmly secures the engines and evaluates the fire versus the risk of a twisted ankle or skinned knee (or passengers getting sucked into the good engine) from an emergency evacuation"...

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              The ones to sit tight...
                              ...as long as we're discussing instructions to sit tight, remain calm and not touch the emergency exits, here's some incidents that would get my parlour-talking-ass-hat mind thinking REAL HARD about jumping ship, when the much safer option is to indeed sit tight.

atcbox, vliegtuig, atc, air, traffic, Boeing 737 (Aircraft Line), Aircraft (Invention), Landing, fire

737-300 engine startup with some flames, most probably due to preservation oil in te fuel system. This happens after a preserved engine is started for the fi...

September 4th flight from Raleigh to Atlanta, the left engine was smoking so I got out my phone and then this happened.

Comment

...found a link on another forum saying holes in the side of the engine and that they picked up high-pressure compressor parts off the runway...

Comment

Working...
                                X