Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about noise reduction

Dear screeners,

As I had quite a few rejections over the last couple of weeks due to noise/grain, I think that I go wrong somewhere in the editing proces.

Main question is, when to do the noise reduction; before or after sharpening and before or after cropping?

Except of that; from to time I see some excellent nightshots on JP without any sign of noise/grain, even with high Iso numbers.
    How do they do that?

I normally shoot at f/8 with a Canon 7D and already at 800 ISO I have to deal with a frustratening lot of noise.
    Tips about noise reduction in nightshots welcome!!

NoiseNinja is my noise reduction programme of choice. It runs as a filter add on in Photoshop and can be set to work on particular parts of the image and rule out other areas.
    Personally, I run through my workflow and apply noise reduction at the end. I find that you need to use a pass of low level USM around 50-0.2-0 as a final touch.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I have had amazing results with Topaz Labs DeNoise 5 - one of the friendliest plugins I have ever used!!!

Comment

Is there any link to a reliable download version of the Photoshop plug-in for Noise Ninja?

When I tried yesterday I didn't download Noise Ninja, but a Niagara of malware on my pc, what costed me a hell of lot of work to clean

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
          Is there any link to a reliable download version of the Photoshop plug-in for Noise Ninja?

When I tried yesterday I didn't download Noise Ninja, but a Niagara of malware on my pc, what costed me a hell of lot of work to clean
          It seems that NoiseNinja has been discontinued and Photo Ninja has taken over. The home website is here.... http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

There is another web address that includes a link to the old Noise Ninja but that may be only for previous registered users like me who need to reload it. Find it as the last item here.... http://www.picturecode.com/download.php
          You can also download Mac, Windows 32 bit and Windows 64 bit versions of Photo Ninja here.

Do not download from "Download manager" or "Softonic" sites. Both include a world of trouble and get you click the wrong download links.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post

It seems that NoiseNinja has been discontinued and Photo Ninja has taken over. The home website is here.... http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

There is another web address that includes a link to the old Noise Ninja but that may be only for previous registered users like me who need to reload it. Find it as the last item here.... http://www.picturecode.com/download.php
            You can also download Mac, Windows 32 bit and Windows 64 bit versions of Photo Ninja here.

Do not download from "Download manager" or "Softonic" sites. Both include a world of trouble and get you to click the wrong download links.

Comment

@ Brian, does Noise Ninja also works in Elements 5?

I have the file, but never used it to be honest.

Regards, Jaap Louwen

Comment

Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
                @ Brian, does Noise Ninja also works in Elements 5?

I have the file, but never used it to be honest.

Regards, Jaap Louwen
                Short answer is that I don't know. You'll have to research that. I'll try to find out but I'm in the Phillipines and the internet coverage and reliability is very hit and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Short answer is that I don't know. You'll have to research that. I'll try to find out but I'm in the Phillipines and the internet coverage and reliability is very hit and miss.
                  Enjoy your staying there.
                  I will try to find out and I was wrong about the version, I have Elements 7.

Regards, Jaap Louwen (PlaneCather).

Comment

Working...
                  X