Germany, A Category 2 Nation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany, A Category 2 Nation?

The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that EASA had voiced concerns over Germany's "non-conformity" with air safety rules before the Germanwings air crash which killed 150 people, especially on air crew health monitoring. The German CAA (LBA) "suffered from chronic staffing shortfalls that could undermine its ability to run checks of carriers and crew, including medical checks." EASA has reportedly told the LBA to "get its aviation industry in conformity" with the rules.

Deplorable. If thus were Mexico instead of Germany would we be seeing an ICAO sanction?

We should see ICAO sanctions against Germany. Safety has to come first no matter who is culprit.

Comment

I don't think there'd be a country in the world that wouldn't be a recipient of a 'non-conformity' at some point - in fact probably dozens at any one time, in every audit. Thats why the audits are run in the first place.

EASA themselves have said that ALL EU member states have findings - Germany had less than 10. Thats tiny.

To suggest that a country's aviation system is 'deplorable' based on one EASA Audit and that they didn't meet the EASA expectations on that occasion is absolutely absurd.

Note that they haven't said 'Germany is not performing adequate oversight', but an observation that 'staffing shortfalls... could undermine...' their oversight.
      Germany then responds to the claims, to either disprove them, or to work with EASA to correct them.

This is how the system is supposed to work. The comments of deplorable, and that ICAO should take action, are frankly naive, counter-productive, and dangerous. The industry should not have to hide its normal safety processes because every little finding gets leaped on like its a critical issue.

This observation would not attract the attention of ICAO no matter where in the world it was, Mexico included. If it continued long term, and was part of a large systemic issue, then there will be talks.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
        Note that they haven't said 'Germany is not performing adequate oversight', but an observation that 'staffing shortfalls... could undermine...' their oversight.
        Germany then responds to the claims, to either disprove them, or to work with EASA to correct them.
        If it continued long term, and was part of a large systemic issue, then there will be talks.
        Well, to be fair, there was also the word 'chronic' in there. I take that to mean 'long term, systemic issue'. What I find deplorable is what that single word conveys.

The LBA is part of the so-called social contract. The public pays them to protect their lives and then they are cited for 'chronic' 'non-conformity' 'especially on air crew health monitoring'. When you look at that in context to the high-standards of German society—and the recent tragedy there, the word 'deplorable' might come to mind.

But yes, seen through the larger lens of relativity I suppose it's nothing. I have to research the findings that got Mexico on their sh*t list...

Comment

Working...
        X