Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane turns back after screaming heard in cargo hold

"Plane turns back after screaming heard in cargo hold"

The title speaks by itself..............

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...125Z/KSEA/KSEA

Anyone have the ATC recording?

Alaska's statement:

Update 7 p.m.

A ramp employee who fell asleep in the cargo hold of an Alaska Airlines aircraft has been discharged from the hospital. The employee, who works for Alaska contractor Menzies Aviation, passed a drug test this afternoon.

The agent had been on a four-person team loading baggage onto Flight 448, which departed for Los Angeles at 2:39 p.m. The aircraft returned to Seattle after 14 minutes in flight when the captain heard banging beneath the aircraft.

After the landing, the employee, who was in a pressurized, temperature-controlled portion of the cargo hold, walked off the aircraft. He told authorities he had fallen asleep.

The employee started work at 5 a.m. and was scheduled to end his shift at 2:30 p.m. During a pre-departure huddle, the team lead noticed the employee was missing. The team lead called into the cargo hold for the employee and called and texted the employee’s cell phone, but did not receive an answer. His co-workers believed he finished his shift and went home.

All ramp employees have security badges. They undergo full criminal background checks and drug screening prior to being hired. They are also subjected to random drug tests throughout their employment.

There were 170 passengers and six crew members on Flight 448. The aircraft landed in Los Angeles at 6:17 p.m.

Update 4:05 p.m.

Flight 448, bound for Los Angeles, returned to Seattle shortly after departure today after it was discovered that a ramp agent was still in the cargo hold. The aircraft was in the air for 14 minutes.

After landing, the agent, an employee of Menzies Aviation, walked off the aircraft from the front cargo hold, which is pressurized and temperature controlled. Upon exiting, he told authorities he had fallen asleep. The agent was transported to a local hospital as a precaution. We are actively investigating this matter.

Update 3:30 p.m.

Immediately after takeoff, the pilot of Alaska Airlines flight 448, bound for Los Angeles, reported hearing banging from beneath the aircraft. The captain immediately returned to Seattle, declaring an emergency for priority landing. The aircraft was in the air for 14 minutes. After landing, a ramp agent was found inside the front cargo hold, which is pressurized and temperature controlled. The ramp agent appeared OK, and was transported to the hospital as a precaution. We are actively investigating the matter.
    moving quickly in air

Comment

ASA emergency landing due to ground crew trapped in cargo hold

Alaska Airlines on Monday said one of its jetliners was forced to make an emergency landing in Seattle after the pilot heard banging from beneath the cabin floor from a worker who had become stuck after falling asleep in the cargo hold.
      As you do...
      AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
      the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Breaking: Menzies has job opening for one ramp worker at Seattle base.

Comment

I hope he put in for overtime. Seriously, why do we have airport security when flights can be dispatched with a ground crew member unaccounted for? I hope this is a wake-up call.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            . Seriously, why do we have airport security when flights can be dispatched with a ground crew member unaccounted for? I hope this is a wake-up call.
            If we held up flights for evey missing ramp worker who might be in the break room watching the big game, chatting up the female employees in the food court, or simply walked away from his low paying job, we'd never get any planes inthe air.

I don't believe I've ever done a walkaround and not seen at least one ramper laid out napping in the cargo bins.
            Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
              If we held up flights for evey missing ramp worker who might be in the break room watching the big game, chatting up the female employees in the food court, or simply walked away from his low paying job, we'd never get any planes inthe air.

I don't believe I've ever done a walkaround and not seen at least one ramper laid out napping in the cargo bins.
              And...

These employees could do nasty things to the plane without being suicidal enough to remain intentionally on board when the nasty thing takes place.

Better security has several layers BEFORE this point.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Who takes a nap in the cargo hold of a plane ready to leave?

Hmm-- I'll just lay down on top of all this pile of soft side luggage and take a power-nap.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  I hope he put in for overtime. Seriously, why do we have airport security when flights can be dispatched with a ground crew member unaccounted for? I hope this is a wake-up call.
                  There really isn't much "accounting" that gets done... it's not like they do roll call before and after each flight. There's undoubtedly someone who's responsible for knowing who's at work from one shift to the next for pay & staffing reasons, and probably assigns different crews/people to particular flights. But I imagine at the lowest level of who exactly does what when and how, they manage themselves. They're not toddlers.
                  Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                    Who takes a nap in the cargo hold of a plane ready to leave?
                    A manual laborer who's maybe a little more tired than they thought?

Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                    Hmm-- I'll just lay down on top of all this pile of soft side luggage and take a power-nap.
                    More like, "I'm really beat from hours of hauling bags around, I'll just sit down for a minute and catch my breath..."

Oh and as to why the person might have done it inside the plane vs. elsewhere, it was raining in Seattle at that time.

I'm not saying the guy didn't do anything wrong, but for someone who's working hard to sit down and take a break for a few minutes isn't exactly unusual. And from time to time when someone does that, they may misjudge how tired they are and fall asleep. This guy just had really bad timing.
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
                    X