Bolivian plane makes emergency landing in Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivian plane makes emergency landing in Amazon

LA PAZ, Feb 1 (Reuters) - A Bolivian plane carrying 151 passengers made an emergency landing in a clearing in an Amazon jungle on Friday in the latest setback for troubled airline Lloyd Aereo Boliviano.

No one was injured when the Boeing 727 landed in an open field about 2 miles (3.3 km) from the airport in the eastern city of Trinidad, airline officials said.

One passenger said people inside the plane had only suffered "slight blows."

Lloyd Aereo Boliviano flights have been largely suspended for nearly a year due to the airline's debts and legal troubles. The privatized company began offering charter flights in December while it worked toward renewing its commercial license.

Friday's charter flight was headed from the Andean city of La Paz to the northern city of Cobija but bad weather impeded a normal landing there and in Trinidad, Viscarra said.

It was reported that airports within range were not available beacues of the weather.

Even when this event went very well, I wonder if it won't be better to attempt an emergency landing in an airport below minimums than in a clearing in the jungle. Note that the answer might differ if the airplane involved is a C-152 or a B-727.

I think there must be more to this story than just weather. Something like [wilde speculation warning] they attempted a landing at Cobija and went arround, then the same at Trinidad, then they run out of fuel and landed in the best place they found within glide range.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It sounds like a miraculous survival story, but suspicious. I wonder if calling the area it went down as “jungle” is a bit of a media embellishment? It says it landed in a clearing, in the jungle. A clearing in the jungle that you could fairly safely crash an airliner?

Even if it is an embellishment, it sounds inspirational that there were no injuries.

Comment

WTF

This doesn't make any sense. I more than a few important details are missing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel
          Note that the answer might differ if the airplane involved is a C-152 or a B-727.
          Noted.

Comment

Something doesn't add up.
            Don
            Standard practice for managers around the world:
            Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
              Noted.
              Good. So what would you do in your CRJ?
              I know, you would never get into this in the first place.

But for the sake of the argument say that, for whatever reason, you face a situation where all airports within fuel range are below minimums and are expected to stay like that for well longer than what your fuel will last. There is however a fairly open field or farm where the ceiling and visibility is not that bad. What you do? You go for busting the minimums of for the off-airport landing?

Is there something about that in your procedures or training or you would have to improvise?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

A flight engineer said the engines had failed because of a mechanical fault. An investigation is under way.
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7223673.stm

Comment

Hungarian media report (without any source) that the engines stopped 3 kilometres short of runway due to fuel starvation. Aircraft was diverted from Cobija due to wx to closest available alternate which was Trinidad 590 kilometres away. There is no talk of weather being an issue in Trinidad.

Most serious injury is a fractured collar bone (one of the pilots). The aircraft came down in an inundated area of shrubland, probably this contributed to the fortunate outcome. Landing gear and one wing reported to have broken off.
                  another ADC refugee

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel
                    Good. So what would you do in your CRJ?
                    I know, you would never get into this in the first place.
                    I guess you answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
                      I guess you answered your own question.
                      Yes, I answered ONE of the THREE questions.
                      Would you help with the other two?

Comment

pics.
                        Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbun
                          pics.
                          The only picture I've seen is on the BBC link below. originally posted by ATFS_Crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7223673.stm
                          Don
                          Standard practice for managers around the world:
                          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

What a rotten year for the B727, 2nd writeoff this year?
                            This one was born in 1980.
                            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
                              A flight engineer said the engines had failed because of a mechanical fault.
                              That was a bit quick of him to say that, what exactly did he know then, not enough fuel do you think???

Comment

Working...
                              X