Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Airways' Saab 340s...

So,

Just did my first intra-Floridian hop on 3M and was a lot-ittle impresses by the services offered, pricing and even the use of props. Leaving from terminal onto the tarmac, it's noticeable - you're on a prop. I've never seen an A330 look that large as when we taxied past her!

That said, I wish them well and hope that they expand. Proudly they advertise the use of Saab 340 B+ (which is marketing hype, no? What truly differentiates them from other 340s). If they needed to expand, can they (or have they already) gone after ex-MQ birds? Or, is there a large source of 340s littering the graveyards?

Also, what else could they expand to (fantasy topic, I guess)...
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post

That said, I wish them well and hope that they expand. Proudly they advertise the use of Saab 340 B+ (which is marketing hype, no? What truly differentiates them from other 340s)...
    340B/B+ models feature a higher MTOW, which is particularly helpful in Florida.

I suggest you read up on their history, specifically on who their founder is and for what purpose they were founded. I secretly hope that your good wishes for them dwindle at least somewhat subsequent to such reading.

Comment

Hmmmmm... didn't find anything incriminating in there...

Comment

ATL is a well-read individual.

That usually means that a quick trip to Wikipedia or Google may not address the issue.

I have not found the suggested information either, but will report back if I do.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          ATL is a well-read individual.

That usually means that a quick trip to Wikipedia or Google may not address the issue.

I have not found the suggested information either, but will report back if I do.
          Then I hope you and he share the relevant links here Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Let me make it easy on you.

Look up Gulfstream International Airlines

Look up "pay for jobs" schemes

Look up Thomas Cooper and the myriad FAA investigations into falsifying logbooks, pilot pushing, and maintenance fraud.

Lastly, look up any number of the more recent crashes where the pilots were graduates of the Gulfstream Academy including Colgan 4307 and "Four-one-oh it"
            Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
              Let me make it easy on you.

Look up Gulfstream International Airlines

Look up "pay for jobs" schemes

Look up Thomas Cooper and the myriad FAA investigations into falsifying logbooks, pilot pushing, and maintenance fraud.

Lastly, look up any number of the more recent crashes where the pilots were graduates of the Gulfstream Academy including Colgan 4307 and "Four-one-oh it"

Ahh, I see. Sadly, I researched the Saab brand, assuming that the issue lie there.

That said, I was cogniscent of the fact that Gulfstream International was related to Silver Airways, and I despised Gulfstream International (going so far to discourage pilots seeking work from ever applying for, or accepting jobs from Gulfstream International). A friend of mine was a pilot at Colgan, working that route, that very night and he explained some issues with Gulfstream Academy (and it would have been an obvious choice for him as he is from South Florida). I guess, though, that I bought the marketing. I saw a new scheme (pardon the pun), a change in fleet, a change in business concept (from the limited passenger's experience anyway), and a more popular and successful operation than Gulfstream International was anyway.

I had little idea of who was at the helm or related scandals. Sadly, I wish it were all better reported (at a national level).

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                I guess, though, that I bought the marketing. I saw a new scheme (pardon the pun), a change in fleet, a change in business concept (from the limited passenger's experience anyway), and a more popular and successful operation than Gulfstream International was anyway.

I had little idea of who was at the helm or related scandals. Sadly, I wish it were all better reported (at a national level).
                It's reported plentifully, one has to only look past the cheap ticket and the pink engine nacelles.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  It's reported plentifully, one has to only look past the cheap ticket and the pink engine nacelles.
                  You're right.

But I bought the new name, the new color schemes, more efficient and workable timetables, the removal of the relationship with United (Continental), and the much better (from a passenger perspective), customer experiences (quieter, nicer, faster, larger Saab 340s), passenger services (kiosk check in, seemingly nicer crews), and pricing (highway robbery for Intra-Floridian flights on the past carrier on Beechcrafts no less...).

It's not right, but perhaps forgivable that with that much significant changes externally and with it being so responsive to passenger needs (as opposed to being responsive just to a larger corporate customer), that it would naturally also operate in the same way that other carriers as well, and clean up its act. I'll definitely give it another thought the next time that I book, but oh sweet corruption and fraud, it will certainly be a guilty pleasure if I have to against.

Play devil's advocate, with me, for a second;
                  An efficient, (seemingly) low fare, intra-Flordian carrier that can effectively serve the entire state, on Saab 340s (an all-time favorite of mine). It makes driving on some occasions even less of an option.

As a South Floridian, we're queerly confronted with the rigors of massive population, sprawling cities, and a major metropolitan block that encompasses three counties (and counting), and no efficient mass transit options to other major Floridian cities (sure, busses, but no major, hassleless, direct, competitive train system) to TPA, MCO, EWY, JAX, and also secondary cities that do pop up for both business and leisure travelling both domestically, and internationally. Their success on the Florida-Bahamas routes may have been inherited, but they do a great job, a much better one than before.

I am not asking you to encourage my behavior, but they are popular here for a few reasons. The messages about their past are well hidden compared to their local success.

Comment

Well, with regards to specifically FLL-MCO and FLL-TPA, you have a much better option in the person of a carrier who uses brand new A 320s rather than SAABs that are on their third or fourth airline. You have spoken derisively of said carrier in the past while wishing Silver well, so...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                      Well, with regards to specifically FLL-MCO and FLL-TPA, you have a much better option in the person of a carrier who uses brand new A 320s rather than SAABs that are on their third or fourth airline. You have spoken derisively of said carrier in the past while wishing Silver well, so...
                      You're absolutely right! In many cases we have seen a lot of upgrading and upgauging routes, as well as new entrants that have made flying with Silver (in many cases, and the most popular cases, not a necessity). I live close enough to FLL to have a myriad of choices. You're right. If I chose with my conscience I am rather spoiled for choice in most cases. I would rather be flying on E170 Family than A320s (TBH), but again I am spoiled for choice in many cases.

Comment

Working...
                      X