• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF B-2 Crashes in Guam

Breaking on CNN.

Crew successfully ejected.

USAF B-2 Crashes in Guam

FOXNews just reported that a USAF B-2 just went down in Guam. Can't find any links.

MSNBC say that the pilots ejected
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

HAGATNA, Guam — The Air Force says a B-2 stealth bomber crashed on Guam, but the pilots ejected safely.

The Air Force says medical authorities evaluated the pilots and both are in good condition.

Emergency responders are on the scene at Andersen Air Force Base . A board of officers will investigate the accident.

Each B-2 bomber costs about $1.2 billion to build.

All 21 stealth bombers are based at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri but the Air Force has been rotating several of them through Guam since 2004, along with B-1 and B-52 bombers.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23302483/
        AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Great to hear the pilots are okay.

It's hard to believe these things are so expensive. I suppose it's a case of "a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it starts to add up to real money."

We had one fly over Lethbridge during an airshow, which is the closest I've ever been to one.
          Terry
          Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
          How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by FireLight
            It's hard to believe these things are so expensive. I suppose it's a case of "a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it starts to add up to real money."
            Well, they were designed during an era when the cost of military hardware wasn't as important as it is today. The USAF planned for a massive fleet of B-2's that could deliver a nuclear first strike to the Soviet strategic forces.

Then the Soviet Union disappeared as did the funding.

Comment

I think the point on cost of building is that they lost economies of scale. If they had built 100 or so, all the development costs and the overhead costs of construction would have been spread over a larger number of airframes, but because they built so few all those costs had to be spread over a smaller number, hence a higher overall cost per individual airframe. I'm assuming that this one is a total loss, though it's not clear yet.

Comment

The good news is the pilots are safe.

The actual cost of building each aircraft is in the 300 - 400 million dollar range. The total cost of the program to produce the 21 aircraft was about 45 - 50 billion dollars. Between 35 - 40 billion were R & D costs. 6 - 10 billion in actual construction costs.

The loss of one of these "National Treasures" is a major event. It will be interesting to see if they release any information on the cause of the crash.

When pilots eject, the aircraft is a total loss. If it's rebuilt, it would be using the original data plate, factory jigs, tooling and production drawings. It could have the same serial number but would be an entirely new aircraft.

While the factory and (I think) tooling still exist, the cost of spooling up to build a single replacement aircraft would be prohibitive.
                Don
                Standard practice for managers around the world:
                Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond
                  The good news is the pilots are safe.

The bad news is the loss of a "National Treasure."
                  Don
                  Standard practice for managers around the world:
                  Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

That's why they should instead crank out an additional 20 B-2Bs...
                    May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Leia
                      That's why they should instead crank out an additional 20 B-2Bs...
                      I wouldn't be surprised if the last B-52 will be flying after the last B-2.

Comment

billion up the spout
                        Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Merged the two threads.

Comment

Hamfist

They hamfisted it

Comment

Working...
                            X