• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a CRAPPY Way to Die

Sewage Tank Accident Fatal

By VALERIE KALFRIN [email protected]
    Published: Jul 14, 2004

TAMPA - For nearly 30 years, septic services contractor Kermit Dale Lancaster earned good money going places most people dread, his family said.
    A former Marine, Lancaster, 67, joked about his gritty job but never complained about the work that supported his wife and three sons.

The Thonotosassa man died at Tampa General Hospital at 9:20 p.m. Monday after becoming trapped in an underground tank at Acorn Trace Apartments, 11115 N. Nebraska Ave., slipping neck-deep into sewage, officials said.

``It's pretty hard to deal with,'' his son, Troy Lancaster, 29, a St. Petersburg computer engineer, said Tuesday through sobs. ``You kind of hope for dignity at the end.''

The Tampa office of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration plans to investigate his death, acting area director Brian Hennessy said.

OSHA's standards for confined spaces such as sewer systems require the area to be evaluated for hazards before an employee enters.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

What a CRAPPY Way to Die

Sad, not to mention disgusting .

-Colin

Comment

:P Didn't catch the pun in the title 'till the second time I checked it out.

Seriously, though. Sad way to die. I was watching 'Most Dangerous Jobs' and one of them documented this guy who had to clean the sewers of Mexico City. Take your average dump and throw in enough water to fill a lake and you've got a pretty close comparison... He had to clear blockages from the drains that are about 15 feet underwater. They said usually the blockages are caused by large, irregular objects thrown into the sewer system, but sometimes they're caused by dead animals (or even people)... And to think he gave up his job as an accountant for that.
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos on here!
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos...over there!

Comment

BEEUURK !
        and RIP
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
        X