Aviation brain teasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    You are so very close there. Let me rephrase the question and add a little more information.
    -I gave a clue that the office workers removed their headsets ? That means that they talk to people. What part of a company talks to people a lot especially after the company product has been purchased ?
    -The brand new building in Washington is the headquarters of the company although it is more commonly associated with Seattle.
    -So, what is the company and who are the office workers ? The fact that he received 100% accurate information that was 100% useless to his current predicament is an accurate statement.
    Microsoft's CC.
    And CC stands for Call Center, because Custmer Care is a title they don't deserve.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Microsoft's CC.
      And CC stands for Call Center, because Custmer Care is a title they don't deserve.
      That's the one. Back to you. Is this the kind of thing you had in mind.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Coffin Corner Hint:

You are in coffin corner- which is basically a crazy high altitude where your stall speed has risen to where it equals the "maximum do-not-exceed speed". The air is so thin that you have to go super fast to maintain lift- but you are at the edge of the "supersonic" barrier where your plane can go out of control (if it's not properly designed.)

The guy said:

1. If you speed up, you break up and die.
        2. If you slow down, you break up and die.
        3. If you climb, you break up and die.
        4. If you descend, you break up and die.
        5. The only thing you can do is burn off fuel and THEN slowly descend.

For starters he's somewhat wrong:

1. is somewhat correct, if you speed up you are somewhat likely to duck over into a dive that you can't pull up from, and then you break up and die. Of course, the dive may not be totally unrecoverable and the plane might be really strong- so he may not be 100% correct.

2. on the other hand is somewhat questionable, if you slow down, you will stall. We generally consider stalls recoverble, although at that altitude things could go badly and inded you might break up and die.

3. is also questionable. for starters you can't really climb...and if you did somehow, you'd stall and would be just like #2 above.

4. is wrong- you can descend- and there's no reason you can't descend without "exceeding the sound barrier" or stalling- you just need to do it carefully- power back and nose over- just be sure to hold your speed near-perfect until the air gets a little thicker. There's no reason to break up and die, unless you are sloppy with your speed control and the plane is unfriendly.

5. is where some insight is. It's kind of wrong. Losing some weight would lower your stall speed and give you some wiggle room- but that's not your ONLY option.

The other insight is that the dude listed "break up" as the immediate result of any of the actions except burning off some fuel, and exactly what a "do not exceed" speed is.

Disclaimer- I don't KNOW what the guy was thinking but THINK I know. It's a logic error where someone knows part of the story.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Right now ejection seems to be a pretty good idea.....Any other option and I'm going to die anyway !

Other than that we're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my knowledge envelope.

Comment

That's the one. Back to you. Is this the kind of thing you had in mind.
            A classic:

- Hey Joe, I'm flying to Pothole Field.
            - Be careful, Moe, one of the two runways is in terrible conditions.
            - Which one, Joe?
            - I don't remember, Moe. But ask the tower. But I warn you: The tower is served by two different controllers. One always syas the truth, but the other one always lie, and you never know which one in on duty.

What is the only question that Moe asked to the controller to guess correctly which runway to use?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

"Which runway would your colleague tell me is the one in terrible condition ?"

.....and he would use the other runway.

If the controller is the truthful one he knows his colleague will lie.
              If he is the liar he knows that his colleague will tell the truth but tells the pilot the opposite answer because he is the liar.
              Last edited by brianw999; 2014-02-06, 21:54.

Comment

.....and he would use the other runway.
                Nope.
                Hint: Brian knows the right explanation to the right answer.

Comment

I can't think how to reword my answer so I'll give you another one anyway.

Imagine you are a pilot.
                  You work for a company that flies a daily circuitious route picking people up as needed and dropping them off at different company bases on the route. Depending on how many people turn up for for flights determines how many people you fly each day.

You turn up for work on Monday.
                  You fly 10 people from home base to base 1.
                  Three get off and seven get on.
                  You continue to base 2.
                  Four get off and none get on.
                  You continue to base 3.
                  Six get on, none get off.
                  On to base 4 where five get off and six get on.
                  Off to base 6, 2 get off, 2 get on.
                  Returning to home base and everyone gets off.

My question ?

What is the pilots name ?
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2014-02-10, 09:03.

Comment

I can't think how to reword my answer so I'll give you another one anyway.
                    Let's see:
                    You've correctly explained that the answer will be a lie:
                    If the controller is the truthful one he knows his colleague will lie.
                    If he is the liar he knows that his colleague will tell the truth but tells the pilot the opposite answer because he is the liar.
                    So if they tell you that runway A is the one in terrible condition, that that's the good one and you land on it (not "the other runway" as you've said).

An alternative would have been to ask "Which is the good runway?", and then yes, use the other one.

Imagine you are a pilot.
                    You work for a company that flies a daily circuitious route picking people up as needed and dropping them off at different company bases on the route. Depending on how many people turn up for for flights determines how many people you fly each day.

You turn up for work on Monday.
                    You fly 10 people from home base to base 1.
                    Three get off and seven get on.
                    You continue to base 2.
                    Four get off and none get on.
                    You continue to base 3.
                    Six get on, none get off.
                    On to base 4 where five get off and six get on.
                    Off to base 6, 2 get off, 2 get on.
                    Returning to home base and everyone gets off.

My question ?

What is the pilots name ?
                    Oh, my god. I've read and re-read it one zillion times trying to find the trick.
                    It was so tough, and at the same time so stupid:

Gabriel!!!
                    (Cue: "Imagine you are the pilot" For Christ's sake!!!)

(I'm not sure if what was so stupid was the quizz or the pilot! )

Comment

Catches them every time !
                      The pilot is indeed Gabriel. How many times did you do the maths ?
                      Over to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                        Catches them every time !
                        But it took me three days!!!
                        The pilot is indeed Gabriel.
                        Yes, but you didn't know it until I told you!
                        The right answer could have been given by, and would have been the name of, any of the other active users in this thread
                        How many times did you do the maths ?
                        Too many, I even made an Excel spreadsheet to verify the data and play with the numbers. At first I thought that there was some trick there like a negative number of persons aboard, so I was quite disoriented when I could find nothing odd

----------------------

147 passengers are in a line to board a plane with 147 seats.
                        Each passenger has a boarding pass with an assigned seat.
                        The first passenger in the line is a first-time flier and he didn't notice that he has a seat assigned. So he gets in the plane and picks any seat at random.
                        The rest of the passengers will take their own seat if available, or randomly pick any seat among the available ones if their own seat is occupied.

What are the chances that the last passenger to board the plane sits in his assigned seat?

Notes:
                        All seats have equal probability to be chosen (given the case that other than the assigned seat is chosen). In the front or back of the plane, window or aisle, never minds.
                        Passengers sit down in the same order than they board. So if a passenger boards the plane and finds his assigned seat occupied by someone else, he will not pick a seat until the passenger that boarded immediately before him is already sitting.
                        More than "rules", the above is just to show that there is no "tick" here. There are no puns, wordplay or hidden hints. Just a very straightforward wording.
                        While this quiz formally involves statistics, in practice you don't need them beyond a very layman's understanding of what is "a chance" or "the odds".

Comment

The bear is white. Actually, it's a yellowish tint of white and to be exact, it's a polar bear.

Why ? Because the takeoff point had to be from the North Pole for the first leg to be southbound and for the two further legs to return you to the takeoff point.

But give it to MCM as he got the colour right !
                          Bears live off of seals. I doubt there are seals at the North Pole. So this is a trick question.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                            Bears live off of seals. I doubt there are seals at the North Pole. So this is a trick question.
                            Don't be so sure (either way):

"While they are rare north of 88°, there is evidence that they range all the way across the Arctic"

"No reports have put polar bears exactly on the North Pole itself, but ca. 100 miles to the south, at 88°N. Thus, there is no doubt that there are polar bears in the vicinity of the North Pole, though they are probably not abundant because the ocean there is less biologically productive than it is over the continental shelf"

"Polar bears, or their tracks, have been reported almost as far north as the pole; however, scientists believe few bears frequent areas north of 88° north latitude on the ice over the continental shelf. The northern Arctic Ocean has little food for them."

Comment

Think, for example, the circle of 10NM of circumference with center in the South Pole. Any point 10NM north of that circle meets the criteria, since you would go 10NM South, then turn West and make the full 10NM cirle, and return 10NM North through the same path that you went South, thus reaching the departing point.
                              Or you could just go 24,859.82 miles south.

Seriously, what does autopilot do when you cross the poles? When you get close do you just start orbiting them. This hurts me head.

Comment

But it took me three days!!!

Yes, but you didn't know it until I told you!
                                The right answer could have been given by, and would have been the name of, any of the other active users in this thread

Too many, I even made an Excel spreadsheet to verify the data and play with the numbers. At first I thought that there was some trick there like a negative number of persons aboard, so I was quite disoriented when I could find nothing odd

----------------------

147 passengers are in a line to board a plane with 147 seats.
                                Each passenger has a boarding pass with an assigned seat.
                                The first passenger in the line is a first-time flier and he didn't notice that he has a seat assigned. So he gets in the plane and picks any seat at random.
                                The rest of the passengers will take their own seat if available, or randomly pick any seat among the available ones if their own seat is occupied.

What are the chances that the last passenger to board the plane sits in his assigned seat?

Notes:
                                All seats have equal probability to be chosen (given the case that other than the assigned seat is chosen). In the front or back of the plane, window or aisle, never minds.
                                Passengers sit down in the same order than they board. So if a passenger boards the plane and finds his assigned seat occupied by someone else, he will not pick a seat until the passenger that boarded immediately before him is already sitting.
                                More than "rules", the above is just to show that there is no "tick" here. There are no puns, wordplay or hidden hints. Just a very straightforward wording.
                                While this quiz formally involves statistics, in practice you don't need them beyond a very layman's understanding of what is "a chance" or "the odds".
                                1 in 147 as there is an equal chance that 146 other pax took his seat?

Comment

Working...
                                X