Nikon NEF files v DNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon NEF files v DNG

Having recently purchased a Nikon D7100, I now have to figure out how to process the Nikon RAW files with my Photoshop CS5. I can see myself using CS5 for the long term future and I'll have no interest in continuously upgrading Photoshop just to use RAW files of new cameras a few years down the line.

At the minute, the solution is to convert the NEF files to DNG and then process via Adobe Camera RAW before finishing in Photoshop, which is pretty much my current work flow anyway.

However it seems a waste of space to retain both the original NEF files as well as the DNG files for editing. A DNG file is half the size of a RAW file yet both open and act the same in ACR and CS5.

So is it worth while deleting the NEF files and retaining only the DNG files?

It saves space, and the DNG files seem to be useable with most image editing software, and as long as Adobe doesn't go bust, looks to be a good long term solution. I don't often go back and re-edit images from previous years so losing the NEF files wouldn't be too big a loss for me, especially as the DNG files will always be editable.

Anybody have any experience on this topic and uses mainly DNG files as their main RAW file?

Dave

I use PS CS3 and Nikon D7000's. CS3 doesn't recognise Nikon RAW so I too have to use Adobe DNG converter.
    At first I used to download the files to a folder and then convert to DNG in another folder which I then used to work on in CS3. I suddenly realised that I was accumulating some enormous folders full of Nikon NEF files that didn't get accessed once I had converted the contents and saved them. These folders could be as much as 2 - 3 Gb each.
    It suddenly dawned on me that his was daft and a total waste of hard drive space. Now I just create a folder, put the SD card into the card reader slot and convert to DNG direct from the card to the destination folder. As I process each image I prefix the file name sequentially 001, 002, 003 etc followed by the registration and include the file number which is set in DNG converter to record sequentially from folder to folder. Doing it this way causes the saved jpg's to be the first files in the folder so you don't have to search the folder for your uploads. This makes it easy to find files later if needed. I keep a written record of each upload batch recording registration and the sequential number that I add which further aids tracking the file if I need to go back to it.
    In one stroke this saves at least 50% hard drive space and the space saving could be further dramatically increased if I were to delete the DNG files that I don't process for use.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2014-01-26, 16:42.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      I use PS CS3 and Nikon D7000's. CS3 doesn't recognise Nikon RAW so I too have to use Adobe DNG converter.
      At first I used to download the files to a folder and then convert to DNG in another folder which I then used to work on in CS3. I suddenly realised that I was accumulating some enormous folders full of Nikon NEF files that didn't get accessed once I had converted the contents and saved them. These folders could be as much as 2 - 3 Gb each.
      It suddenly dawned on me that his was daft and a total waste of hard drive space. Now I just create a folder, put the SD card into the card reader slot and convert to DNG direct from the card to the destination folder. As I process each image I prefix the file name sequentially 001, 002, 003 etc followed by the registration and include the file number which is set in DNG converter to record sequentially from folder to folder. Doing it this way causes the saved jpg's to be the first files in the folder so you don't have to search the folder for your uploads. This makes it easy to find files later if needed. I keep a written record of each upload batch recording registration and the sequential number that I add which further aids tracking the file if I need to go back to it.
      In one stroke this saves at least 50% hard drive space and the space saving could be further dramatically increased if I were to delete the DNG files that I don't process for use.
      Converting straight from the memory card is a good idea, saves a bit of time I guess. So you're solely using DNG files Brian as your RAW format? The space saving and the ability to use the single format with multiple editing programs seem to outweigh the negatives.

Comment

Yes Dave, that's exactly as I see it. Much quicker and I don't see any difference between DNG and NEF/RAW.

Comment

Top stuff Brian, thanks for the input!

Comment

I would not convert from memory card to DNG. The USB2-0 connection will seriously limit your conversion speed.

My workflow

1. copy images from card to HD
            2. convert with Lightroom 5 (if I did use RAW - mostly I use jpg fine)*
            3. save as jpgs*
            4. copy jpgs to back-up HDs 1+2
            5. format memory card in camera
            6. discard RAWs when I will the jpgs are good and it was a standard subject*

* only when using RAW, which I do not for 98% of my spotting trips

Comment

I suppose using Jpg is another way to save space and speed things up, although I don't think I could ever go back to just Jpg. I will try converting RAW to DNG both from the memory card and from the hard drive and see if the speed is much different. Either way the conversion will take a bit of time, especially after a trip like LHR where I can take upwards of 1000 per day.

Comment

I always convert the NEF to DNG and then delete the NEF.
                My archive consists of edited jpeg's and the DNG files.

I am very curious about the results of your new D7100
                “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

1000 a day!! My camera is at ~650 since September. This a 3 times DUS and 2 times FRA.

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                    I always convert the NEF to DNG and then delete the NEF.
                    My archive consists of edited jpeg's and the DNG files.

I am very curious about the results of your new D7100
                    Sounds like that'll be my way forward as well. I have yet to use the D7100, waiting for the first sunny day although I could be waiting a while!

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                    1000 a day!! My camera is at ~650 since September. This a 3 times DUS and 2 times FRA.
                    That's quite low. A full day at LHR = 30 aircraft an hour, 3-4 images per aircraft, over a 10 hour period = 1200 ish

Comment

Surely it's quicker to convert to .dng direct from the chip rather than download the nef's to a folder and then convert ?

And another thing.... CS3 could read the .nef files from my old Nikon D80 so why can't it read a .nef from a Nikon D7000 ? Is it not beyond the realms of possibility for Adobe to develop a plug-in to allow reading of the more modern .nef ? Seems to me that they're more interested in screwing their customers to upgrade than support them. I should add that I paid, and paid a lot, for my CD copy of CS3. What really pissed me off at the time was that the US price was around $450 but as soon as I tried to purchase from that site I was redirected to the UK site where the price was over £500. Note...pounds, not dollars !
                      It makes me wish that I had succumbed to downloading a pirate copy !
                      Last edited by brianw999; 2014-01-28, 12:48.

Comment

And another thing.... CS3 could read the .nef files from my old Nikon D80 so why can't it read a .nef from a Nikon D7000 ?
                        The business case for a feature like "do not allow this newer version of ACR run with an older copy of Photoshop" is much better for Adobe, if the customer has to upgrade his copy of Photoshop.

Whis is more or less the same than ...
                        Seems to me that they're more interested in screwing their customers to upgrade than support them.
                        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                        X