D7100 Lens Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D7100 Lens Questions

Hi everyone. I personally have not been around for AGES, but I am starting to get back into photography. I just want some lens help. I am going to post here what I have posted on DP review in the hope to get some more advice, especially from an aviation photography perspective.

I am going from a Nikon D2X to a D7100 - I am selling the D2X and all associated lenses which were:

Nikkor AF VR 80-400mm 1:45-5.6D ED

Nikkor AF-S 24 85mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED

Nikkor Wide Angle 24mm f/2.8D

I want to take wildlife, aviation and landscape. I have just taken my gear to a local camera shop to see what price they will give me.

I think I am going to get the 7100 Body only and then get the lenses which will suit my style. This is where I need a bit more advice.

The guy is the shop suggested the lens listed below. I put it on the D7100 body and it seemed to be a really great lens. What he did say is that this would be able to be used for all the photography I want to do. I'm not so sure about that. We did not really talk about any other lenses as I want him to give me the price for my old gear before we get into that.

Tamron 18-270 di II VC PZD

For the price though, the Tamron seemed to be a good start.

So, given the type of photography I want to do. I would really appreciate some advice of you fine people regarding lenses. I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to go crazy mad at this point.
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

You are joking right?

I can see the move from D2X to D7100, but the lens must be a joke.

The Nikon 80-400 is a little slow AF wise but pretty decent.
    The 24-85 is good.
    The 24mm 2.8 is also very solid.

The Tamron 18-270 on the other hand is a piece of crap. It is 6.3 @ 270mm, so it is bad for spotting under bad light conditions not to talk about wildlife, in the forest or under a tree, it will be lucky to focus reliably. For landscape, it comes with pretty hefty distortions at the wide angle settings.

This is a typical superzoom, with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Camera...29/Nikon-D7100

You might want to take a look here: http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-...imes-and-zooms

I would rather keep your old lenses, than buying the Tamron.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2013-11-02, 13:00.

Comment

Thanks Seahawk. In fact, that's what I am being told on on DPreview as well. Keep the old lenses and see how they perform but don't get rid of the big lens just yet.
      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Working...
      X