Identifying Jets At Altitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Jets At Altitude

What is the trick to identifying jets flying at high altitude when taking a photo from the ground? Likewise, how is another aircraft identified in some of the air to air pics that sometimes show up on this board?

In some cases, no tail number is visible in the pictures and yet the photographer has identified the tail number, exact model number of the aircraft, and sometimes even the flight number and takeoff point and destination of the aircraft.

I asked a similar question here some time ago, but I don't recall receiving an adequate explanation or answer.

Thanks to anyone who knows how a jetliner at altitude with no visible ID numbers that can be visible from the ground on camera, or air to air from another aircraft, can still be identified in the pictures posted. I have included here a recent Jetphotos photo here of an example. There is no way that this aircraft can be ID'd through simply studying this picture, other than the type of aircraft, and yet the photographer has somehow listed the aircraft's tail number, airline name, and in this case even the flight number.

How is this accomplished?

Thanks.

Rick G.

Perhaps the observer was looking at FlightAware flight data on aircraft passing his location
    This would give aircraft type, airline, and flight number (also altitude).

Comment

I may be a bit of a late comer to it, but flightradar24.com is pretty handy when it comes to it, also. I just started getting into and using it lately. It really is helpful!

Comment

Another piece of useful software is Planefinder which shows in real time what is above you.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

if you have an iphone you can go to Siri and say "plane overhead" and it will give you a list of planes flying over which would help in figuring out which aircraft it is...

Comment

www.flightradar24.com is the best bet, you can playback an earlier time period aswell. I use it to look up flight numbers of planes I've taken photos of or the reg on an airplane I flew on if I wasn't able to see it.

Originally posted by Rick G View Post
            There is no way that this aircraft can be ID'd through simply studying this picture, other than the type of aircraft, and yet the photographer has somehow listed the aircraft's tail number, airline name, and in this case even the flight number.
            Well, along with some of the websites we have listed, you don't know that the photographer didn't snap more photos of the airplane as it flew over to catch the registration/airline, which is often the case, and as for the flight number, if it's a regular flight in the area he may have known in advance.

Comment

Highkeas, Pilotgolfer, brianw999, DeltaFlyer and Leftseat86,

Thanks so much for your insight and information.

Thus far, since reading your replies, I've been able to explore using Siri on my iphone. It's amazing.

I will be trying all methods suggested above as my time and circumstance permit.

Thanks again for your kindness in responding.

Rick G.

Comment

Working...
              X