Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go! to go and Mokulele to pick up the reigns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go! to go and Mokulele to pick up the reigns...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hawaii...030000065.html

Under the terms of an agreement with Hawaiian Airlines, go! will be able to re-book passengers ticketed through go! for travel scheduled between April 1, 2014 and June 30, 2014 in specified fare classes on Hawaiian’s Interisland network. go! will refund tickets for passengers who cannot be accommodated on Hawaiian Airlines, or for passengers holding tickets for travel after June 30, 2014. All ticket holders will be contacted by go! reservations representatives regarding the re-accommodations.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mokule...174500310.html

Mesa Air Group has announced that it is shutting down the interisland airline go! effective April 1. Mokulele Airlines, Hawaii's low-cost interisland air carrier, is honoring the flights purchased on go! Airlines for travel on Mokulele where available. For go! flights that were purchased on Mokulele's website for travel to Kaua'i and Hilo, passengers should contact Mokulele for refunds. Mokulele Airlines has had a code share agreement with go! since November 2011 when TransPac Aviation purchased the turbo prop division from Mesa Air Group.
    Well, well. Less than a decade later and we are out both one Aloha and then go! I am sure Hawaiian is smirking the "I told you so" right now.

Anyway, with Mokulele - you're on a Cessna. Love the idea, but will other people be so happy?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

What about Go Mokulele? was it an airline too?

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
      What about Go Mokulele? was it an airline too?
      According to a few other articles, Mokulele has been distancing themselves from go! since Mokulele was purchased by Transpac Aviation in 2011. In 2012, go! starting phasing out the "Mokulele" c/s, returning to go! c/s.

...perhaps this was a long time coming.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        Well, well. Less than a decade later and we are out both one Aloha and then go! I am sure Hawaiian is smirking the "I told you so" right now. (...)
        What a waste... it was a sad day when the aviation industry and plane-spotting scene lost Aloha. I wonder if they would still be around if it hadn't been for go!.

Comment

Less than a decade later...

Not only PHNL loses the classic airlines like AQ. In 2008, here we lost our one and, until today, only EDDL HomeAirline, the LTU (LT).

And the bad development still goes further. EDDL is no longer a LH hub where you find LH connections between Chicago and Hamburg.

Let us find words for that, and, even more difficult, let's try to be loyal to our HomeAirport!

PS: Most of the problems that European airlines have are home made. LH leaves EDDL? Ok, but this gap is filled by EK and AA (and for people who completely dislike this decision even by KL .... ...) . Congrats for this LH decision...

One good word for the former "EDDL king" (since 1955), which until today is my nickname: The others don't sleep. And, even more important, they don't leave EDDL.
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2014-03-25, 01:55. Reason: +details
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Well, LH-B744 - you are somewhat off-topic here, but I would just like to say, that LTU was bought out and merged into Air Berlin, so technically didn't "die" like Aloha Airlines, which just folded and nobody picked up the pieces. As for LH - they don't leave EDDL. They just changed operations there to Germanwings, their 100% subsidiary and low fare-lower cost section.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
              What a waste... it was a sad day when the aviation industry and plane-spotting scene lost Aloha. I wonder if they would still be around if it hadn't been for go!.

Sad indeed. I for one miss them flying the Hawaiian skies. I love Hawaiian, but the fares, consistency and ability to chose is simply not there now. It's a pain.

Now, when go! initially entered the market - there was wide spread fear that they were aiming directly to destabilize as many players as possible to gain market share (and then just gain a monopoly), as was the real issue when Hawaiian sued Mesa demanding that they be barred from operation for at least one year.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/5...es-go-airlines

At the heart of this case is trade secrets. Hawaiian Airlines says that its company's business plans, fares and operations were exposed during bankruptcy and says Mesa learned about their routes, prices and profitability of inter-island travel, giving the start-up an unfair advantage in the Hawaii market.
              Aloha folding was a possibility prior to the entry of go! but it became inevitable in a Hawaiian race against Mesa, and now this is what is left. Encroachment on routes to the mainland from many 737 mainland operators did not help either. I really thought that someone would resurrect Aloha, seeing that they possessed a rather decent cargo network, but it was halved off and then kept separate. I would love to see them back in the air, because Hawaiian is doing quite well for itself - and I wonder if Aloha were not slammed by go! if it could have been enjoying a renaissance now as well.

Comment

Well, LH-B744 - you are somewhat off-topic here, but I would just like to say, that LTU was bought out and merged into Air Berlin, so technically didn't "die" like Aloha Airlines, which just folded and nobody picked up the pieces. As for LH - they don't leave EDDL. They just changed operations there to Germanwings, their 100% subsidiary and low fare-lower cost section.
                We don't have to discuss here what has happened on my HomeAirport during the last 20 or 30 years, agreed.

Concerning AQ, you know more than me. As you say it, I know this procedure as "Hawaiian is interested in slots" (you can replace the name of the airline by an airline of your choice).

But no one bought the AQ a/c (compared to LT)? But in most of the cases that I know, a/c don't completely disappear from this planet... ... ...
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

The LTU aircraft became the property of Air Berlin through the merger. Air Berlin didn't buy the aircraft from LTU.
                  As for the Aloha Airlines aircraft, the 737-700s went on to other operator like GOL, Air Berlin , Arik Air and others (http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/A...ory-b737ng.htm). Most of the 737-200s were either scrapped or stored. Some continue in the service of Aloha Cargo (which still exists) or elsewhere, but it's not like 737-200s are highly sought-after these days...

Concerning your "Hawaiian is interested in slots"-comment, I have to disagree as well. As far as I know, there are not too many restrictions on slots in the Hawaiian islands. Only Honolulu is a busy airport, but with many runways and not over-crowded. Hawaiian and Aloha had some sort of co-existence until Mesa Airlines introduced go! (which of course was subsidized by its mainland mother). In that competition, Aloha came in last, having the inferior fleet compared to Hawaiian and no financial backing from the mainland compared to go!.
                  Last edited by Peter Kesternich; 2014-03-27, 18:37.

Comment

Hawaiian and Aloha had some sort of co-existence until Mesa Airlines introduced go! (which of course was subsidized by its mainland mother). In that competition, Aloha came in last, having the inferior fleet compared to Hawaiian and no financial backing from the mainland compared to go!.
                    I suppose one might say AQ was not well-prepared for any competition other than HA.

Comment

Working...
                    X