Aer Lingus, Virgin in wet lease deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aer Lingus, Virgin in wet lease deal

Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic have announced a “wet lease” agreement under which the Irish flag carrier will operate a number of short haul routes on behalf of Virgin.

In a statement to the Irish Stock Exchange, Aer Lingus said the proposed agreement was for a three year period beginning at the end of March.

Aer Lingus is to provide four Airbus A320-200 aircraft to be used for services connecting London Heathrow, Manchester, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. The aircraft will fly in Virgin colours.

Wet leasing involves one airline providing another with aircraft, crew, all maintenance, hull and third party legal liability insurance.

Virgin Atlantic, owned by Sir Richard Branson's Virgin group and Singapore Airrways, today announced it was entering the British domestic market and would operate some involve 24 flights a day.

The new routes will create 130 flying jobs and 25 office jobs as well as other indirect jobs in both England and Scotland, with Virgin able to offer competition domestically to long-time rival British Airways.
    The Irish Times

Now we know the source of VS's future short-haul fleet but I didn't know EI had A320's to spare.
    TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Looks like FR are trying again to persuade the EU to allow their takeover.

Interesting in the logic in why 4 slots are left at Heathrow; for Virgin maybe. I really can't FR getting this takeover. Flybe wouldn't be able to support 20 routes and even then run them as well as Aer Lingus; plus I don't wish to see even more Flybes at Birmingham. This scheme by FR would just eliminate competition for BA going to DUB and also give Flybe a giant monopoly on certain routes. IF this was to go ahead, would FR keep the Aer Lingus brand; I've seen some places they would although I'm not confident that they would. It would be interesting if the Airbuses stayed, considering the FR fleet is Boeing.

Comment

Fortunately the Government has decided not to sell its stake which hopefully means the threat to Aer Lingus is over again!

Comment

At the moment it seems that the following aircraft will operate for Virgin, although it seems CVA, CVB or CVC may be instead of DEI or DEO.

Meridiana A320s I-EEZF
        and I-EEZG

with EI-DEI and EI-DEO

I find it a little hard though that EI would send out two of the newer a320s when they could send out some of the older ones. Plus DEI is my fav aircraft so would be frustrating if DEI moves!

Comment

First painted aircraft

Looks excellent; better than expected. Looking forward to seeing more pics and also when DEI is in the livery.

Comment

EI=DEI now painted too; http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/8620266084/ and already working with VS on the new Edinburgh route.

Comment

Working...
            X