The pleasures of a merger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pleasures of a merger...

But that doesn't excuse what happened recently when a Charlotte-based US Airways pilot wouldn't let three American pilots sit in the jump seat of his aircraft. American and US Airways merged on Dec. 9.
    Ok, so I am not saying that he is right - but I do believe that the choice of who sits in that seat currently does, and always should be the Captain of that aircraft. I understand all of the circumstances around it, and that it's almost essential due to the amount that are dead-heading. Was he right in doing it, maybe not - but it was ultimately his choice. What if his views over this whole thing could have distracted him with a constant reminder of that sitting in his cockpit and probably going to have to make small talk with later. Those are close quarters, and if he has a 'message' that last place that it needs to be voiced is a cockpit. He may have made an 'illogical' choice in not letting them into the cockpit, but it had safety repercussions as an added benefit.

Now, he should have let them on, just to be a 'nice guy'. But, we're not all nice guys all the time. We have bad days, and in his mind, if AA (or yet another carrier that he has been merged into) is a cause of those bad days, since management surely does not care to properly address the broad reaching issues (not only financial) surrounding a merger, at least try to avoid issues where we can? Also, he is one pilot. One, in a pool of thousands.

The letter concluded on a conciliatory note: "If you see an American pilot please take the time to introduce yourself and apologize on behalf of the US Airways pilots for this senseless selfish display of power and let them know they are welcome on our flight decks."
    HA! Are you kidding me? Not even going to spit on it first? Are US Airways pilots meant to prostrate before AA pilots? I am all for 'peace and harmony' but come on.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

And so it begins... I feel your pain, having gone through the most recent merger myself...
    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
      the choice of who sits in that seat currently does, and always should be the Captain of that aircraft.
      ^This
      Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

The last quote is unbeleivble, this happening in the west and in America of all places.

Comment

This is what happens when unions or companies get involved in jumpseat priority and availability.

In my part of the world this is not an issue - the jumpseat is released by the Captain as he deems fit to a restricted genre of person, and everyone understands it that way. Captains 99% of time time are happy to release the jumpseat - however there are certainly occasions that they won't, and it is never questioned. It seems in the US it is considered a right.

I am very glad the unions in this part of the world do not try to strong-arm against individual Captains for not accepting someone onto the flight deck.

Comment

According to my sources, the gentleman in question has a rather lengthy track record of being "special", which started long before this merger and, in fact, long before the previous one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              According to my sources, the gentleman in question has a rather lengthy track record of being "special", which started long before this merger and, in fact, long before the previous one as well.
              Is he short statured with a moustache?
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                Is he short statured with a moustache?
                I don't know about that, the person I think you're talking about is legacy-AA, though.

Comment

LA? (not meaning Los Angeles this time)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    LA? (not meaning Los Angeles this time)
                    Negative.

Comment

Working...
                    X