Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Extra Flaps?

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

(if you don't know what I meant in the title see the picture)

...rejected takeoff from Juazeiro Do Norte's runway 13 at low speed after the left hand engine (PW6122) emitted a loud bang and came to a stop about 350 meters/1150 feet down the runway
    I think they could have written that to indicate a little more clearly that it was the *aircraft* that came to a stop on the runway, not just the engine.

But given how well Hollywood has trained us that all incidents, no matter how small, involving "transportation machines" result in a giant explosion and fire, is this really so surprising?
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
      But given how well Hollywood has trained us that all incidents, no matter how small, involving "transportation machines" result in a giant explosion and fire, is this really so surprising?
      ...and the reality that there's quite a few incidents and death toll where folks survived "the crash" (or engine failure, or emergency landing), but died from smoke/fire while trying to deplane.

I recall seeing ads for smoke hoods in Sky-Mall magazine...
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        I recall seeing ads for smoke hoods in Sky-Mall magazine...
        Heh... that reminds me of a discussion I had over the weekend where my brother recalled being on a flight where the movie was "Airport '77".

Not only does it show dubious judgement showing an air-disaster movie on an airline flight, but it wasn't even a particularly good air-disaster movie.
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
          Heh... that reminds me of a discussion I had over the weekend where my brother recalled being on a flight where the movie was "Airport '77".

Not only does it show dubious judgement showing an air-disaster movie on an airline flight, but it wasn't even a particularly good air-disaster movie.
          I enjoyed following the career of Joe Patroni (George Kennedy) as he went from a taxi-rated chief mechanic to chief test pilot on the Concorde...or something like that...

...it's been a few years.

Originally posted by Someone like Evan
          According to the book, what you just did is impossible.
          Originally posted by Joe Patroni
          That's the great thing about the 707, son, it can do everything but read.
          Edit: The real thing below

Originally posted by Airport

Mel Bakersfeld: Joe, this is Mel. There's no more time. Stop all engines and get out. Repeat. Stop all engines.

Cockpit qualified young man: Mr. Patroni, she won't take much more.

Joe Patroni: Well anyway, she's gonna get it.

Mel Bakersfeld: Joe, the plows are moving. Shut down and hold on! Joe Patroni! Do you read me? Acknowledge!

Mel Bakersfeld: Joe! Shut down!

Cockpit qualified young man: Mr. Patroni? Don't you hear him? Shut down.

Joe Patroni: I can't hear a thing. There's too much noise. Hold on. We're GOIN FOR BROKE!

Cockpit qualified young man: [after the plane gets out of the ditch] The instruction book said that was impossible.

Joe Patroni:
          That's one nice thing about the 707. It can do everything BUT read.
          [throws his chewed and soggy cigar over his shoulder]
          Cowboy Indeed!
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
          X