Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't pilots be disciplined for flying through weather like this?!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    This should be good. Just how robust SHOULD they be?

I know, lets make them out of titanium, oh wait a second don't think the old radar waves will get in and out of that to well!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      I know, lets make them out of titanium, oh wait a second don't think the old radar waves will get in and out of that to well!
      In fact, that's what these elastomer paints are supposed to address, although rain erosion, not necessarily hail blasting. Obviously, they have to be transparent to radars well. Up until the 80's that could only be done with black (and possibly white and grey). Now they can be color-matched to just about anything. The question I had was whether commercial jets use these same elastomers. They might just be MIL-SPEC. I guess if you don't mind losing a radome here and there and possibly a radar dish as well, you wouldn't bother with it. Although with fuselage mounted engines, I might worry about the radome shrapnel getting sucked into the engines. And then there are the probes to consider...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
        This should be good. Just how robust SHOULD they be?
        I say make them robust enough so they can survive at least 99.999% of flights intact. Or in other words, as robust as they already are.
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
          What if the crew was dealing with Chinese and North Korean airspace and ATC refused to let them deviate. Would that change your thinking on this incident?

With that said, you always have the option of declaring an emergency and taking the matter into your own hands, but it gives you something to think about.
          True, someone would have to look up the flight route on Flightaware.com to find out.

Whatever, I apologize for being so combative with everyone on here. I really am sorry if I offended anyone, and I do appreciate this forum.

Comment

Working...
          X