No announcement yet.

Screening Queue Too Long !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....and that, Freightdogg, is one of the best ever responses to the annual queue extension problem that I have ever read.
    Excellent response that covers all the bases. Thank you.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Good point Freightdogg!!

However,if you go out shooting some interesting stuff,it isn't a good thing to see your pics accepted after a few months or so, instead of a couple of weeks.
      Many pics aren't worth "hot photo",but are interesting enough to see them on JP within a couple of days, i/o a month or so.

Talking myself, I only upload 5 pics a day (or max 35 a week),while I have over 500pics waiting for to upload.
      We should accept a longer queue, due to the growing of this site, but it's not acceptable to see only 500pics screened a day where it has been 1000 a day in the past, with even less screeners.
      I mean,it can be done!
      I will accept any upload restriction the crew will come up with,but it's a two-way system. The crew has to screen a bit more as well, with over 40 screeners nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
        Good point Freightdogg!!

However,if you go out shooting some interesting stuff,it isn't a good thing to see your pics accepted after a few months or so, instead of a couple of weeks.
        Many pics aren't worth "hot photo",but are interesting enough to see them on JP within a couple of days, i/o a month or so.

Talking myself, I only upload 5 pics a day (or max 35 a week),while I have over 500pics waiting for to upload.
        We should accept a longer queue, due to the growing of this site, but it's not acceptable to see only 500pics screened a day where it has been 1000 a day in the past, with even less screeners.
        I mean,it can be done!
        I will accept any upload restriction the crew will come up with,but it's a two-way system. The crew has to screen a bit more as well, with over 40 screeners nowadays.
        September has been a slow month for screening unfortunately, a good few of the active screeners have been away on holidays.

Just a quick noteworthy point, on the front page where it shows the amount of images added in a day (today's stats are: 572 added yesterday · 3768 in last week · 16487 in last month), these only show the images added and not the total images screened. What you don't see here are the number of images rejected.

Comment

Let me remind EVERYONE of a few simple facts....

1. The crew are all volunteers.
          2. The crew have jobs of work to do ( except me, I'm retired....but I used to work a 14 hour day including travelling. Trouble is, I seem to have more to do now than I did when I was working !!)
          3. The crew have families.
          4. The crew take holidays.
          5. The crew have home issues that need their time.

Every year around this time the queue extends mainly because of 3 and 4 above with a bit of 2 above thrown in for good measure. Throw in generally improved weather around the world and uploads increase dramatically. Unfortunately quality standards tend to drop because many uploaders don't apply self screening to their images. You only see the accepted images, you don't see some of the astounding rubbish that we have to put up with. Good quality images are dead easy to screen, they take no more than 15 seconds to screen. It's the rejects that take the time. We have to make sure that the rejection reason/s are valid and sometimes have to spend time on checking data. A reject can sometimes take 2 or 3 minutes or more, sometimes longer. 10 of those in a session of screening and that's 30 minutes wasted. We don't always get it right which is why we have an appeal system but some of the appeals frankly are an incredible waste of time.
          If uploaders want a guaranteed queue drop then, as I see it they will have to accept 3 things...

1. Reduced upload slots.
          2. Payment of a membership fee because if someone wants to DEMAND my time then they are going to have to pay me for it.
          3. Much harsher screening. The slightest error would be an instant reject. We spend an awful lot of time correcting some errors, leaving messages and cross checking details in an attempt to remain "the friendly way to fly"

I don't want any of that and I'm sure you don't either so for now you're going to have to put up with it.
          We are the largest aviation database in the world and it is run by volunteers. To be part of this database you will have to accept slowdowns occasionally.

Let me make one thing quite clear here. This post is my personal opinion and does not reflect any opinions held by other members of the team, the admins or the site owner. Sorry for what may seem to be a hard line attitude but it had to be said.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2014-09-28, 10:19.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I mean,it can be done!
            Just a minute, let me get this right: we are doing this for free, in our spare time, but you say we should do a bit more? Thank you!!
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Brian - you made a perfect explanation to something that is perceived by others as a problem. Geraldo - no - we do not expect that - well - sorry - some do!

As I have made points of a few times - the screeners are VOLUNTEERS! Everyone needs a break from their regular work - some people expect them to fill that time screening. I wish you would post some of the unacceptable work so that some people can understand what you all have to go through - but - I understand you don't want to put some people in the limelight for their work.

I will say thank you to all the screeners for the time you do put into this - it is at times a thankless job - but - there are quite a few of us that are quite happy to sit back and wait for you to get through the queue - in your own time.

Comment

Good point Freightdogg!!

Freek,

I agree that some photos are topical and should deserve faster screening, if they are legitimately time related then that is why the crew here have the "Hot Photo" classification.

Otherwise I do not believe that a photo becomes less interesting simply because some time has passed since it was taken. For a classic example of that I will use your own photo of Singapore Airlines 744 9V-SPK, which you shot on 11 Sept. 2000, and which was added to the database on 24 Jan. 2009. The fact that 8-1/4 years passed in between made it no less interesting or noteworthy. The time lapse also indicates that your own personal self-screening habits are quite good. I say that because the camera indicated was a 3MM film camera and I am guessing you didn't choose to upload the photo until you had acquired a decent film scanner to do the digitization properly rather than use a lower quality flatbed scan of a print. I wish that all the photographers here showed the same self-restraint.

You seem to be based at probably the most spotter friendly major airport in the world, that being AMS. Because of that I would expect that you would have a higher than average number of good photos worthy of uploading here. But I don't think we as contributors here would want the spotting location to become a factor in screening priority either. If so, the database would be dominated by those with ramp access and/or security perimeter access.

I think we have both been contributors to this site long enough to know that screening speed is seasonal for many very legitimate reasons on the part of the screeners. Knowing that, I'd suggest that you (and all other photographers here) upload their best or most time constrained photos during the summer months, and then add the rest during times of the year when screeners have more free time to work on the whole screening process. That should help you with issues of immediacy, while also helping the screeners lead normal lives with their families during times when family activities are normally at their peak. (This also applies during the shorter family-intense period around the Christmas/Hanukkah and New Year Holidays.)

Finally, keep in mind that screeners are people too, they devote a lot of time here for no compensation other than the feeling they might get of being part of something important. Cracking the whip in such cases (even if only a verbal lashing) very rarely results in motivating a renewed effort to work harder or faster. Appreciate what they do, continue to use good sense about your own uploads and motivate others to do the same, and most of all be patient, your photos will be seen and screened as quickly as possible under the given circumstances.

Comment

I personally would HATE it if we were only allowed to upload 10 a day im the kind of person that likes uploading 20-40 at a time I wouldn't have the patience to come back each day to upload 10 more if I had a big set of shots. Im comfortable with the queue the way it is a queue is a queue. I honestly don't mind waiting three weeks that way ill always have photos in the queue as 3 weeks is ample time to go out and get more
                  the 747 will always be superior.

Comment

Is also allowed me to write some words?
                    I do not understand why people have complaints about the long screening queue.
                    All JP's crew are working as volunteers, we need to assess their contribution, don't complain.
                    I personally have a lot of patience. There's no hurry. For example I'm upload now photos that I took in August 2013.
                    In the past sometimes I was disappointed about the rejected photos, now it's the opposite: I'm glad about any accepted photo.
                    Best regards,
                    Erez.

Comment

And please do not forget screening is not the only thing needed to be done to keep the website running. The database needs constant work, emails to the team need to be answered (well at least those without insults), forum needs to be read and answered, corrections need to be screened, new airlines and airports need to be screened, re-uploads need to be screened, comments need to be screened, emails sent to photographers need to be screened,....

Comment

Originally posted by Freightdogg View Post
                        Freek,

You seem to be based at probably the most spotter friendly major airport in the world, that being AMS. Because of that I would expect that you would have a higher than average number of good photos worthy of uploading here. But I don't think we as contributors here would want the spotting location to become a factor in screening priority either. If so, the database would be dominated by those with ramp access and/or security perimeter access.

I think we have both been contributors to this site long enough to know that screening speed is seasonal for many very legitimate reasons on the part of the screeners. Knowing that, I'd suggest that you (and all other photographers here) upload their best or most time constrained photos during the summer months, and then add the rest during times of the year when screeners have more free time to work on the whole screening process. That should help you with issues of immediacy, while also helping the screeners lead normal lives with their families during times when family activities are normally at their peak. (This also applies during the shorter family-intense period around the Christmas/Hanukkah and New Year Holidays.)

That's a very clear point of view and I have to admit you're absolutely right

For those of the crew who take my posts to personal, please apologize. It wasn't ment to be like that.
                        I don't want to be rude as I know how much time it takes to have this site running.
                        All I want to do is adding some help, but if nothing seems to happen,it frustrates me. My mistake. Once again: SORRY

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                          And please do not forget screening is not the only thing needed to be done to keep the website running. The database needs constant work, emails to the team need to be answered (well at least those without insults), forum needs to be read and answered, corrections need to be screened, new airlines and airports need to be screened, re-uploads need to be screened, comments need to be screened, emails sent to photographers need to be screened,....
                          Dear Stefan, Of course, I don't forget anything, I am grateful to all crew members.

Comment

First of all, I am grateful to all screeners who devote their time to screening our uploads. I agree with some of you that the limit for uploading should continue to be in place, because otherwise people would start to just upload so many photos that the queue would just get longer and longer. Basically, spam the queue with so many photos that we would just continue to complain even more. That's how I view the opinions that some of us have.

At the same time, I think the screener comments are very valuable to beginner photographers such as myself. Freightdogg mentioned earlier about a kid who wasn't able to get his uploads accepted for a long time. I can relate to that because I once went through that process. To be honest with all of you I am still in Secondary School/High School and have problems getting photos accepted here. I cannot stress enough how long I took for my first photo to get accepted (my first acceptance was last year after Christmas), and I think it was the screener's comments that kept me going. My rejection rate varies a lot, sometimes 100% accepted with a few photos and sometimes the complete opposite. The screener comments are essential to the improvement of our photo qualities.

And I actually don't think the queue is that long, really. Maybe I wasn't in the game at the time when screeners could clear 1000+ photos a night (I'm in Asia, so timezones are different), and maybe that is why I don't think the waiting time now isn't very unacceptable. Very occasionally I do see sudden drops in the amount of photos screened a night, like for example recently I remember seeing that only 200- photos were screened a night. But more often I see accelerations in the screening process, like even 1100+ photos screened a night. So I think on average the screeners are actually doing a very good job consistently. Keep it up screeners!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
                              I'm sorry, but that is just bullshit and abuse.

…………………………..
                              Lastly, kudos to the screeners because even with the ton of photos to screen they still take the time to leave comments to help fix rejections.

You have my support here!

Comment

Still queue is about month long...

Comment

Working...
                                X