No announcement yet.

Sky Airlines real close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The runway was 30, wind 290 degrees at 7 knots; Visibility: 6000 m; Scattered clouds at 1000 feet AGL, broken clouds at 1300 feet AGL,

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Whatever.....but I'll lay money that there were a few spilt Piscos in the cockpit!!!
      Fixed again.

Comment

Originally posted by bob m View Post
        ...Visibility: 6000 m...
        Technically.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Thanks to Google I now know what a "Pisco" is !
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            He touched down with a bank angle, off the centerline, and not on the runway heading. He was still ligning up with the runway at the moment of touchdown. That is non-stabilized by definition. I don't think that the wind had anything to do.

Speculation here, but maybe he was dodging fog patches.
            Maybe he was trying to dodge the proverbial "busload of nuns" on the runway. (Simulator instructors sometimes want you to go around from the flare. In the past I've had them say "there's a busload of nuns on the runway--go around!)
            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

3WE, I think I've found the right words:

When he touched down, he was still turning to final.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

PERFECT!!!
                The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
                  Maybe he was trying to dodge the proverbial "busload of nuns" on the runway. (Simulator instructors sometimes want you to go around from the flare. In the past I've had them say "there's a busload of nuns on the runway--go around!)
                  Were the busload of nuns drinking gin and tonics and leaving skid marks ?

Comment

I too have found the right words, "He screwed up"
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Not even my worst FSX landing :S. I'm not a professional pilot and I was not in the cockpit but I can't possibly think of something that would make this guy do what he did.

And btw where the hell was the copilot in all of this!?

Interesting analysis here: (In spanish but sefl explanatory)

AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpeters View Post
                        ...I can't possibly think of something that would make this guy do what he did...
                        I can possibly think of something that would make this guy do what he did.

It happens.

Probably a lot to student pilots have made similar maneuvers.

There are youtubes of other incidents with airliners...wing tip scrapes, crazy sideways touchdowns at Kai Tek, Airbus in Germany.

...and, let's even go so far as to think of a vehicle leaving it's lane on a highway.

Yeah, it's a bad mistake, humans do that sort of thing from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpeters View Post
                          I can't possibly think of something that would make this guy do what he did.
                          Lack of serious pilot screening and training requirements. Lack of mentorship. Blind task-orientation.

Comment

It's kind of tough to detect the turn from that angle, but yep, on review, he's more our less turning to final for good long while- right through his touchdown.

...That being said, is that a 'normal' approach for that airport?...where you 'must' make a significant turn and (when you do it right) have a short final where you are 'perfectly' aligned with the runway.

...or is he operating in a visual and light-plane mindset, downwind, base, final...except he blows it due to not seeing the runway, and/or, bad flying and leaving himself no space for final nor being aligned....

Comment

Working...
                            X