No announcement yet.

N345MC Learjet crashed in Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The link from mawheatly also says the debris field was spread over a 1000 foot area. Not placing too much trust in media reporting of these accidents, if that were true, it would argue against an inflight breakup from FL 350. All parlour talk and speculation of course, which is what we are all so good at doing.

Comment

the plane was 43 years old? i wonder what kind of inspections and re-certs are done on ga aircraft. even for a commercial ac 43 years is kinda on the old side...

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        the plane was 43 years old? i wonder what kind of inspections and re-certs are done on ga aircraft. even for a commercial ac 43 years is kinda on the old side...
        But a 43 year old Lear 25 most likely has less airframe hours and cycles than a 43 year old 727. I guess if everything is kept up they're OK to go. This one had a particularly bad accident several years ago and you wonder if that had something to do with this accident. My brother flys a Conquest 1 that I would guess is around 30 years old (or more) and just spent a bundle having it completely taken apart and inspected for corrosion. There are many DC-3's still operating just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
          But a 43 year old Lear 25 most likely has less airframe hours and cycles than a 43 year old 727. I guess if everything is kept up they're OK to go. This one had a particularly bad accident several years ago and you wonder if that had something to do with this accident. My brother flys a Conquest 1 that I would guess is around 30 years old (or more) and just spent a bundle having it completely taken apart and inspected for corrosion. There are many DC-3's still operating just fine.
          I agree.
          I used to work for a large cargo company and their Boeing 727s are more than 40 years old. Most of them were ex-Branniff or ex-Eastern Airlines pax airplanes modified to cargo configuration and cargo doors.
          And yes, they are still shipping stuff 24-7 around the world.
          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

With proper maintenance there should be no worries unless as you say they have som many cycles that there's already too much metal fatigue.

Most general aviation aircraft are pretty old! And all those 727's and 707's flying in africa usually crash because of failures in other systems not structural failures so I think they are pretty sturdy. In the end it all comes to good or bad maintenance.
            AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

Last airworthiness certification was 5th June 2012 according to the FAA database.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

well, if their airworthiness certification is anything like their check rides for pilot recerts for part 135, have zero faith in them.

buddy got certified for part 135 since his boss wanted to start chartering the challenger 300. the check ride went like this:

take off from PBI. climb to 10,000. turn left. head north. head west. head south. maneuver for landing at PBI. all in crystal clear weather with no questions asked during the flight.

Comment

Maybe whatever caused the problem of the unintentional banking that ended up in an accident a while ago is the culprit of this same accident.

Thinking along the lines of loss of control ending in an unrecoverable spin. That would explain the very fast descent and the debris radius.

Comment

Think lack of pressurization, hypoxia, loss of aircraft control.
                    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy View Post
                      This brings memories from a trip I made in Mexico on a Learjet 23 which had a leaky door seal. I was thinking about that the whole trip.

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy View Post
                        Like the Payne Stewart crash, but I would think a Lear would be on autopilot.

Comment

The pilot was 78 years old - if he collapsed over the controls could that have caused a dive?

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                            Like the Payne Stewart crash, but I would think a Lear would be on autopilot.
                            Old Lear autopilots are crap. The only thing they're good for is holding altitude and heading. Most are handflown up and down.

The true cause of this crash will never be known because there's no FDR and I'd bet the CVR was inop. If they ever found them, I'd put money on the bleed switches being off and the caution / warning CB pulled.
                            Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Temporary pilot's certificate:

looks like a certificate, issued on basis of a mexican license.
                              A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

So ATC had them at FL?

Doubt that.

Comment

Working...
                                X